Should we as A2 owners be worried about this?

Jeffers66

A2OC Donor
Maybe me being picky but I would have thought the airbags would have activated on this A2?
Makes you wonder about our own airbags with the age they are and workability, I swear my mot tester told me a few years ago that airbags would possibly need changing as part of the mot once they get to a certain age, anyone know anything on this as it would not be cost effective surely, and probably not even be available new from Audi if it were the case!
Cheers Jeff
https://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans...nt=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=email

It would be quite difficult to regulate - the MOT currently does not allow the tester to remove any part of the vehicle to aid testing and you'd have to remove the airbag to check the manufacture date.

Also, not sure that looks like enough of a smack to set the airbag off, more of a low speed shunt, imo.

I agree that the 'tap' this A2 as suffered would not set of the Airbags, seen a lot worse and the airbags have not deployed. Remember that the airbag itself causes you some physical harm, so they are not set off until the arm caused by the airbag is less than the harm that would be caused had the airbag not deployed

I also read somewhere that the '10 year' life of airbags had been lifted, but I'm not sure to what. I also agree that the MOT would never be able to check the airbag condition / date as the mot tester is not allowed to dismantle the vehicle (not even allowed to wipe grease of a suspect brake pipe to check its condition)
If checking of airbags was ever introduced it would have to be subject to a different test, likely an 'examination' similar to the test that kit cars have to go through and then a certificate issued that would be checked as part of the MOT
I have not heard of any such requirements as of yet, so not going to loose any sleep over it just yet :)

Cheers,

PS criminal that the linked A2 is being broken for what is very minor damage, easy repair using second hand parts and likely done for less than £400 all in, but as usual the insurance Co will write it off, well worth saving IMO

Last edited:
There was a discussion on here about airbags a while back. I think my service book says 13years and replace but I think someone posted a statement from Audi that this wasn't necessary. They probably real life tested some 13 year old ones and they still worked - you can't do that until 13 years later.

I read recently that 'lazy' driving position is now recommended over the 10 to 2 as the locking of the arms in a frontal collision means the airbag deployment can snap both your forearms as it makes the windscreen shield shape. A nice thought!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine Say's ever 14 years, they need to be replaced. Air bags that is.
9eadb5899b27c0213207b6e3db711a50.jpg
a8a0a3e1c85988106413469391ba6a1e.jpg

Sent from my VFD 600 using Tapatalk

Mine were 14 when deployed successfully, both fronts, dash and steering. I'm still
Trying to assemble the car, but with some upgrades as well.

Boris

Nah. They're only saying that to negate liability. Should be fine for 25+ years if you keep it that long!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should be fine. They need replaced as they might not deploy properly.Not that they won`t deploy at all.
As for that car.the shock was not that great to need deployment.
I was in a worse crash in a Vectra B and they did not deploy.

Back