Dipstick - poor oil indication solution

Birdfish

Hi All,

I've read somewhere on the Forum sometime back that the A2 has a terrible Oil Dipstick reading and have been experiencing this very problem.

The stick is Black so oil level is hard to see, so using White enamel paint I sprayed the end of the Dipstick, this works to a point then discolours after a short time but never seems accurate to me regardless of painting.

After dipping several times when the car is cold to get a stable indication I continually get a indecisive reading, I would surmise that this is caused by the oil getting dragged up the tube by the Dipstick from the sump, so fed up with bad readings I thought I'd repaint the end of the Dipstick once more using High Temperature paint this time. I took the stick out and degreased it over night and left it to dry before repainting, got an urgent call on in the morning to go out so I had to put the stick back in the car but decided to check it again and 'low and behold' I got an accurate reading of "next to no oil in the sump".

I reckon the reason for poor oil reading is this, because there is an element of vacuum in the Dipstick tube due to sealed engine operation, you can tell this by pulling out the Dipstick when the car is running and it should drop in revs, (Ps; if no drop in revs you have a fault elsewhere and thats another issue).

So the best way to get a totally accurate reading is to take out the Dipstick, clean it, and leave it out or the car overnight allowing any oil in the Dipstick tube to drain back into the sump as it can't do that when the Dipstick is in place.

(Much like when sucking up water through a drinking straw and putting a finger on one end the water won't fall out until you allow air in, same principal).

All my future oil level checks will be done this way thanks to my accidental discovery.

Cheers

Doug

I just took a file and flattened one side which makes it a lot easier to read the level
c46e24abad412edd11b4c9b130dbe611.jpg

I don't really find reading the level a problem, it's the dragging issue that makes it awkward. I find if I take the dipstick out, clean and replace, after about 5 iterations I can take a reading.

I don't really find reading the level a problem, it's the dragging issue that makes it awkward. I find if I take the dipstick out, clean and replace, after about 5 iterations I can take a reading.

Exactly what I do, I usually end up dipping the sump many, many times to get an accurate reading!!

I wonder if you could fit a dipstick from a golf 1.6FSI or polo GTI? (assuming the sump is identical), knowing of course that eliminates the point of the service flap!!

The stick is Black so oil level is hard to see

As you will have seen from CoroTheCat's posting they do come in orange. Mine is orange. I would replace the dip stick first, I don't think they are expensive.

My issue is I'm on edge every time putting it back in as I've read they snap easy.

As you will have seen from CoroTheCat's posting they do come in orange. Mine is orange. I would replace the dip stick first, I don't think they are expensive.

My issue is I'm on edge every time putting it back in as I've read they snap easy.

Or you can replace the end with one of my 3D printed ends which so far have not snapped in the last 18 months. They come in blue or white (your choice) and are printed in ABS. See the 3D printed thread in 'for sale' area for more details
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not exactly on the same subject but lent the A2 1.4 SE Petrol to daughter and her boyfriend yesterday. Oil Level Low Alarm came on when they got home, about 6 miles away.

Got them to top it up with about 250 mi of Quantum Gold. Alarm came on again at Preston, so they topped it up again.

Is the Oil Level Sensor a common failure on the 1.4 Petrol please ? Ours is 2003 1.4 SE in which we have done nearly 100,000 Miles now. Only previous owner was Preston / Blackburn Audi who put the first 9,000 miles on it.

not common, but also not unheard of

Expensive part if memory serves correctly, maybe worth looking for a second hand one (try A2steve)

cheers

Well the Oil Level Low warning did not come on again after the second Top Up.

May be the first Top Up was just not enough ? Can't say how much Oil was put in either time as I was not there. Got A2 back now. No sign of an Oil Leak. Just keep a close eye on it for now I think.

Well the Oil Level Low warning did not come on again after the second Top Up.

May be the first Top Up was just not enough ? Can't say how much Oil was put in either time as I was not there. Got A2 back now. No sign of an Oil Leak. Just keep a close eye on it for now I think.

What level is the dipstick showing now? I recall reading somewhere that overfilling can damage the engine - see http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?26328-Frequent-oil-top-ups-beneficial&p=208681#post208681

Another post says "According to the owner's manual, the difference between the upper and lower markings on the dipstick "amounts to approx 0.5ltr" of oil" so if the warning light comes (and the sensor is working OK) on then adding 0.5ltr will not take it over the max.

Having checked up with those who topped the Oil up, Wife, Daughter & Daughters boyfriend, and having got my Oil back with the A2, it looks like top ups were around 200ml - 250ml both times, so that would be about right.

Not read that thread yet but Yes Engines can be damaged by too high an Oil Level. They told us that at College back in 1974. The damage being to the Crankshaft by slamming into the Oil every revolution.

A bit of a tangent but I heard about a guy who took a call from his wife that smoke was pouring out of the car exhaust and she couldn't understand as she had just topped up the oil. When asked how much she put in she replied 'I filled it properly. Right to the brim!'

A bit of a tangent but I heard about a guy who took a call from his wife that smoke was pouring out of the car exhaust and she couldn't understand as she had just topped up the oil. When asked how much she put in she replied 'I filled it properly. Right to the brim!'

This is no joke, about 25 years ago were I used to live the girl from next door but one knocked on my door and said something like "you know your way around around cars, can you have a look at mine as it is smoking a lot" on looking at the car (Nissan Sunny) I discovered that it would start (just) and was smoking VERY badly, I asked what she had done to it and she said nothing other than topped up the oil, I asked how much she had put in and was told a full can and half of another can. Taking of the oil filler cap there was oil right to the very top of the engine.
Drained it all out and filled to correct level, it smoked for about the next 50 miles then was fine
she never lifted the bonnet again to my knowledge

Cheers,

Back