Silly me - pranged the front of vehicle!

Mbzpar

Oh dear,

Sadly was at fault for a minor accident whilst joining a roundabout last Thursday when I bumped a car in front. So mad with myself for being so careless. Beleived the car in front of me would have cleared the road given the gap observed in traffic coming from our right. I regularly drive 100 miles a day on my commute and it has served as a reminder to up my game driving wise and be less complacent. Just pleased no one was hurt.

My little pride and joy has suffered damage to the front centre where the bumper (plastic and metal beam behind) has been bent as has the grill surround and radiator. Sadly not been able to inspect the engine as unable to release the bonnet currently. Vehicle drives fine and has not visibly suffered any damage to the wings, steering or suspension. It was a low speed collision, but still I am impressed with how the car has held up. Sadly the van I hit (a new Mercedes) faired much worse (bumper, crumpled back doors). The poor chap had only just receved it back following a previous collision. Awaiting for the insurer's repair garage to decide what to do and arrange collection. Damage seems to be light but they are laying the ground that it might be written off over the phone currently (seemed obsessed on its milleage being 93K). If that were to happen I would certainly buy her back and repair privately.

Q: I was wondering if anyone had experience of similar font end damage to the A2 and if there is anything I should make doubly sure the repair garage take a good look at (i.e. service access point behind grill) when repairing.
Kindest regards

Paul

Hi Paul
It's easily done. But frustrating nonetheless.
I did something similar a year ago. I rolled into a trailer - it was very low-slung and not very visible - at temp road works traffic lights. I was only doing walking speed. The metal angles of the trailer sliced through the air grille at the base of the bumper. You could hardly see any damage other than the broken slats. It had actually smashed both the radiator and inter-cooler. Also, they had to replace the entire front bumper as the brackets were damaged. The insurance company initially spoke of it possibly being a write-off. I think that's their default setting for cars over 10 years old!
Anyway, all fixed and looking great.
Hopefully yours can be fixed.
Regards
Steve M
IMG_0335.JPG

Thanks Steve,

My vehicle is exactly the same colour as yours (best in my opinion ;). Fingers crossed all goes well with my repair. Thanks for your comments.

Paul

Hi Paul,
Sorry here you your bad news.
I have repaired several A2 with front end damage.
Firstly if the car is still driving OK and there is no water lose then the damage as not been enough to fracture the radiator (it may have bent the radiator which would still require changing) this is a good barometer of the level of damage inflicted.
If the car as Aircon (Climate) then does the aircon still blow cold air (assuming it was working pre accident), again if the aircon is still blowing cold air then damage as not fractured the aircon part of the raditor (same applies as above regarding it bending, but not fracturing)
If the car is a TDI then the intercooler may have been damaged, if it is not dropping into 'limp mode' then it is likely to have not affected the intercooler, but could still be bent and therefore would be best changed.

The bonnet attaches to the 'slam panel' which is one large piece and also mounts the head lights, most of the slam panel is steel, but the head lamp mounts are plastic which is bonded to the steel structure, if either of the headlams have been broken in the crash then it is HIGHLY likely that the slam panel will need replacing. The Rads and intercooler all mount to the slam panel.
Behind the plastic bumper are two aluminium members, a small one about 1" Sq that the plastic bumper mounts to with 4 plastic push fasteners and a much larger aluminium meber that is about 6" x 4" in section, this larger one sites slightly lower and is the main crash protection. you cant see what the damage is likely to be to this member until the plastic bumper is removed, if this larger member is significatly damaged then you need to have a VERY carfull look at the two struts that bolt to the body shell and come forward and the slam panel attaches to these (one on either side). These are designed to crumple in the event of an accident, they are bolt on/off items so no great problem if they are damaged, but need checking as the front of the A2 will not align correctly if either one of these is even slightly crumpled.
The Bonnet itself is no great problem as it simply removes from the car, the rear bonnet mounts are likely to have been bent, these are aluminium and bend quite easily, again look and see if they are bent (compar to another A2 to see) if they are bent then change them as aligning the bonnet with one or other of these bent it near on impossible (ask me how I know, got the video a tee shirt on that one)

The A2 is a very modular so the damage tends to be related to one or more (depending on the size of the impact) modules (slam panel, crash member, crumple struts etc)
It would need to be quite a large frontal only impact to get back as far as the drive shaft / front suspension, a side or corner impact is much more likely to cause suspension damage.
All the parts should be available second hand, try A2steve as he asa constent stream of A2 for breaking.
If you cannot get the bumper in the same colour as your car, have it painted BRFORE fitting it for the final time.

Feel free to send me some pictures of the damage and I will see if I can access it further. If you get the service flap down (lever it with a screwdriver) and get a large pair of pliers / mole grips on the bonnet release screws to tuen them then give the bonnet a good tug it should come off the car, then you have a much clear view of the likely damage.
It is highly likely that the air box is also damaged as it sits just behind the plastic bumper on the drivers side and seems to get broken in even a slight frontal impact.

I would be surprised if the second hand parts cost more than a couple of hundred quid, the labour is the killer unless you can DIY it !!!
Cheers,

Thanks Paul (Depronman) for such a comprehensive answer,

Mine is the 1.4 petrol version. Radiator still works fine as does the air con so fingers crossed they are good indications that the damage is not so bad. Headlights are still rock solid on their mounts so hopefully the slam panel has not been affected. Have been able to see through the bumper and have noticed a bend in what I think you called the large lower aluminum member at the point of impact. The impact was more to the passenger side of centre so hopefully the airbox is fine. Top advice on the mounts for the bumper and bonnet. Will check these.

Owe you one

Paul

Thanks Paul (Depronman) for such a comprehensive answer,

Mine is the 1.4 petrol version. Radiator still works fine as does the air con so fingers crossed they are good indications that the damage is not so bad. Headlights are still rock solid on their mounts so hopefully the slam panel has not been affected. Have been able to see through the bumper and have noticed a bend in what I think you called the large lower aluminum member at the point of impact. The impact was more to the passenger side of centre so hopefully the airbox is fine. Top advice on the mounts for the bumper and bonnet. Will check these.

Owe you one

Paul

It is likely that only the very corner of the front cross member is affected in which case I would not bother changing it. The cross member is very strong but any impact on its very ends will likely cause some deformation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Paul,

It will be going through the insurance. Just waiting to here when they collect. Your guidance is invaluable.

Kindest regards

Paul

Help. Just heard from insurers and they want to write the car off. I don't think they have even looked at it. They want to offer me £2000 for it but will allow me to salvage it for 22%. Confident all it needs is new bumper, metal beam behind bumper, new grill and surround and radiator. What advice can you guys offer. Is there anyone you can recommend to do the necessary repairs privately. Absolutely gutted. Paul

Don't panic. Buy it back as salvage and get any decent local garage to do the repairs. The A2 front end isn't complicated and can all be replaced quite easily.

I have a whole front panel, a complete radiator unit, front grille with surround and possibly a front bumper and can do the lot for just over £100 so the future is bright if you want to keep the car.

Thanks Steve, will do. Need to find a garage now to undertake the repairsIMG_20170810_184210.jpgIMG_20170810_184129.jpgIMG_20170810_184148.jpg

Have attached pictures to show how little the damage is.

Thanks Steve, will do. Need to find a garage now to undertake the repairsView attachment 30719View attachment 30718View attachment 30717

Have attached pictures to show how little the damage is.

I would be happy to repair your A2, only problem is you are quite a way from me, but I do work cheap (Its an hobby to me) so may be worth considering the cost to get the A2 to Lancashire then drive it back once repaired (assuming the radiator is damaged and therefore it is not currently drive able for any distance

cheers,

I would be happy to repair your A2, only problem is you are quite a way from me, but I do work cheap (Its an hobby to me) so may be worth considering the cost to get the A2 to Lancashire then drive it back once repaired (assuming the radiator is damaged and therefore it is not currently drive able for any distance

cheers,
That is incredibly kind of you Paul and would definately take you up pn the offer if closer my friend. Still waiting to get the car back from insurers garage and to take the repair forward from there quite likely with A2 Cars in Milton Keynes; although they seem to have a lot of work in currently so may take some time.

Hi folks, quick update. Car back from insurers finally. They have classed as a cat c, uneconomic repair. Paid me £2250 for vehicle which I salvaged back for £495. Car drives perfect as ever and keen to get her repaired. In work tomorrow so will check diary to see if able to get her to A2Cars for repair as not savvy enough to do myself despite damage looking light. Defo needs new front bumper and inserts (black grill, fogs etc) both metal bumper bars need replacing, as does radiator due to crease in metal. Bonnet seems perfect, but has suffered light damage to chrome on grill surround. Bonnet a little harder to secure than usual whch is worrying and hopefully attributable to damaged grill, whch I hope I can replace without the need to buy a new bonnet. The slam panel looks perfect from what I can see wth the bonnet off (headlights etc all solid). Any members in the Cambridge area mechanically savvy on the A2 who might be able to give me a 2nd opinion on the damage or guide on how to remove front bumper to inspect?

Back