New A2 Sport owner

Kleynie

A2OC Donor
Hi, I have just purchased a project/MOT failure and I plan to get it back up and running for my son to drive - he is 16 and a half at present. I only paid £400 for it so wasn't expecting too much when it turned up delivered on a low loader with 122k miles on the clock. First the good bits:

It has 17" 9 spoke alloys
Open Sky roof
Climate
Azur blue paintwork in surprisingly good condition
Sports seats with electric lumbar (all working)
DIS
2 owners
Good runner with good battery

The bad bits:
Badly scratched windscreen (I plan to buy a glass polishing kit)
No MOT due to broken rear springs and front brake pads worn.
Open sky tilts but does not retract.
Fuel filler does not open (interior lights also do not come on when the drivers door is open) common fault I have read?
The DIS is telling me the coolant is low when it is not
Climate panel has the usual wear.

Anything you guys can help with would be much appreciated, especially the open sky and the fuel filler. Also I removed the oil cap from the rocker cover whilst the engine was running which illuminated the EML light, I cannot get it to disappear now, any ideas?
I have the VW software that I use on my nieces 2003 VW Polo, will this work with the A2?

Thanks

Kleynie.

Hi Kleynie

Was the car purchased from Bridgend? It sounds familiar.

Welcome along to the club. Lots of useful help available. My bet would be on the door microswitch for the fule cap and interior light issue.

Hi Kleynie

Was the car purchased from Bridgend? It sounds familiar.

Welcome along to the club. Lots of useful help available. My bet would be on the door microswitch for the fule cap and interior light issue.

Yes, Bridgend, how do you know that!

Is the door microswitch as difficult a job as I read?

The fuel flap not opening is most likely linked to the interior light not coming on when the drivers door is opened, does the DIS advise that the drivers door is open (I suspect not) This is either a failed micro switch in the drivers door lock assembly or more likely failed solder joints in the same place. I have had several A2's with this problem and re flowing the solder joints using leaded solder as fixed them all, cheap fix but a little time consuming to get the lock assy out of the door. I posted a guide some months ago on this very topic.
For some reason only know to Mr Audi the fuel flap switch will not operate unless the drivers door is open (how you push the switch with the drivers door closed is beyond me - I think this is known as German efficiency !!!)
Broken rear springs are a 10 min job to change, remove the lower shock bolt and drop the suspension until you can get the spring out. Replace the spring and likely the bottom spring rubber seat as these wear out
Best of luck wit the wind screen, I have not had any success polishing out scratches which have likely been caused by a failed wiper are, fix this BEFORE sorting out the screen or you will be doing the screen twice :)
Front brake pads are a quick swap out, you need a 7mm allen key (none std size), also it is likely that the passenger side brake wear warning electric connector as given up in the past and been bypassed therefore you will have nothing to connect the pad lead too (leave it disconnected and manually monitor pad wear)
Wear to climate panel buttons is common, find an A4 climate panel (hard touch) and swap over the buttons

Cheers,

Thanks a lot. Yes as you suspect the DIS does not show the drivers door open, it does for the others and the boot. So it looks like I'll be dismantling the drivers door.
I keep reading things about the door check straps, what's that all about?

Yes, Bridgend, how do you know that!

Is the door microswitch as difficult a job as I read?

The description limited it down to the one on ebay. One side effect of always looking for suitable parts cars is that I know every car for sale within a 150 mile radius :)

Door microswitch is about an hours work.

The description limited it down to the one on ebay. One side effect of always looking for suitable parts cars is that I know every car for sale within a 150 mile radius :)

Door microswitch is about an hours work.

Yes, we won the auction last Weds and it was delivered on Saturday. Bought totally blind, but I'm up for the challenge!

Door check strap mounting in the door snaps, which can cause the wires to be stretched causing central locking / door sensing / speaker issues. You can hear the crack/crack when opening the door before it eventually fails (like mine has).

Door check strap mounting in the door snaps, which can cause the wires to be stretched causing central locking / door sensing / speaker issues. You can hear the crack/crack when opening the door before it eventually fails (like mine has).

What's the solution pls?

sometimes the check strap just shears the alloy rivets holding the 2 parts of the check strap together easily fixed by drilling out the rivets and using a 10mm nut and bolts instead, if the check straps have totally self destructed they normally wear through the top of the door speaker too , if they have totally self destructed youl need to source new ones , the crew audi thread has a price of these for new oem replacements

Thanks guys. My passenger check strap seems to click, maybe I'll put these on the to do list once I've brought the car back from the dead and MOT'd it. For now I have the brakes and springs to sort out, oh and a blowing exhaust.

Once I make a start on it I'll start a new thread and post some progress pictures.

AS Boris as already stated I offer refurbished door check straps at £25ea (there is a refundable deposit of £20 per strap, repaid when I receive your old straps)

I use aircraft quality stainless steel nuts and bolts to replace the aluminium rivets which are a major failure point. I also replace the two nylon rollers with brass rollers as the nylon wear quickly, the brass rollers should outlast the A2 if they are feed with a drop of lubricant every now and again.
The Audi original straps are currently £32ea and will break/wear, so as you can see my refurbished straps are cheaper and better
I have a few in stock now so just drop me a PM if you are interested either now or in the future

Cheers,
Paul

The first stage of the project now done, fitted new Mintex discs and pads and gave the front suspension a good check over. The wheels have gone off to Lepsons for a refurb and new tyres. Next weekend new rear springs, dampers and all the rubber bits.

How do I add pictures here? It doesn't seem to work from my iPad?
Hi,

With difficulty! . - Uploading pictures is a great bone of contention for many. It seems to me the forum software has not kept abreast of new technology platforms coupled with the big IT players Microsoft/Apple/Google/Others being mutually uncooperative with rivals.

If you have access to a Microsoft Windows machine the forum 'Manage Attachments' when writing a new post (in advanced mode) works fine, albeit having a vintage 1995 feel!

I am writing this on an IPad but never have tried adding a picture, I will try it later for you to see if it works.

Andy

Just remembered it maybe your picture is too big (limit 2 Mb I think). If so you will have resize it smaller to work.

Last edited:
As promised my first attempt at adding a picture using my IPad.

The picture is irrelevant but I thought it best to keep it A2 related.

Andy

It's worked! Strangely you can't see it when writing the post (no usual attachment gooblygook) but you can see it in 'preview post'. You do run into problems with 'drag and drop' as this conflicts with the iPad's built in 'Copy...' function but you don't need this on initial upload. Mind you it did help I knew my way round 'Manage Attachments'.

Happy to help out further if required.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    278.5 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
So I went advanced and chose the file, then nothing happens, the pop up window just remains on the screen and everything behind is greyed out. What to do?

Back