Broken dipstick tip in sump

stufree

hi, changed oil and filter at weekend, went to check oil today and the dipstick came out with the last 2 or 3 inches of plastic broken off and either in sump or bottom of dipstick tube.....
what to do now (apart from the obvious foul language, gnashing off teeth, hair pulling etc)?
any ideas welcome as pretty sure i'm not the only one this has happened to..
1.4 petrol..

Don't worry about it, there is a mesh gauze to stop any debris getting lifted back into the engine. Just get it at the next service. member Depronman does replacement ends.

Thanks for that guys, major relief... but just one more question for Steve ---- Have you ever managed to fish one out? I won't be taking the sump off if I can help it and it looks a bit unlikely that it'll get washed out of the drain plug with the old oil.

your lucky its not a TDI as ive heard they can play havok with the crankshafts speed sensor ring from being thrown up by the throw of the crankshaft and bending the fingers on the sensor ring causing all sorts of uneven running and miss firing ... Id say its a sump off job to get the bits out unless your lucky enough for it to come out of the sump plug hole

Back