Engine head gasket replacement. What else to check while at it?

vklexer

Hello fellow lawnmower drivers,
Had a problem with coolant leak and car overheating, which pointed to a head gasket problem.
So since im paying for the removal of half my engine, what else could i ask them to look into?

I can only comment on FSI. If it is, I'd do cambelt and water pump, plastic pipe that crosses the engine from water pump to thermostat housing and get the injectors cleaned. That should be a good start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would check the turbo condition play in the shaft there a pain to do whilst on it's coming off anyway.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Id say pop all the valves out and replace valve stem seals as a must do and while the valves are out as such check for any play in the valve guides, as found play above spec in mine when i reconditioned the cylinder head and had them upgraded "with the valve back in the head push the stem so the valve comes out a few cm and see if there is any sizeways movement" id also recomend as a minimum to lap all the valves into there seats as exhaust valves tend to burn there seats, id also check camshaft shell bearings for any signs of wear and the camshaft lobes , but saying that any garage whos any good would check these sort of things anyway ...

Thanks for all the tips.
Another question. Change the headgasket or change the engine entirely? Anyone had any problems after changing the head gasket?

Thanks for all the tips.
Another question. Change the headgasket or change the engine entirely? Anyone had any problems after changing the head gasket?

My Tdi has done 104000 miles after the head gasket change till it met the sign post and even that did not affect it lol
If the engine was serviced properly earlier in its life, any type of engine, and head gasket change has been done correctly,
there should be no problems.

Boris

Back