1.4tdi 75bhp

sean

Hi All,
I need some help with my A2. Its a 2001 with 135000 miles. it started misbehaving when under load especially a long drawn out hill. No engine management light on and turning ignition on and off made no difference. I looked through this web site and it seemed that the opinion was the injector harness would be the cause. I thought that I may as well change it as even if not the cause it had done all those miles. I changed it and it made no difference!.

I have since bought a fuel filter, however this was changed about 2 years ago so I won't hold my breath.

Today it seemed to get worse, it seems OK under light throttle but when "working" to get up hill its seemed like it was running on two cylinders!! again still no lights up.

When I got home I unplugged the MAF I took it out for a run and it made no difference what so ever so I re plugged it in.

Not sure where to go from here any help appreciated

Thanks for looking

You answered your own question. If disconnecting the MAF sensor made no difference, it's either a bad connection or MAF itself. First step would be to clean both connector and MAF and check if it makes a difference, second step, replace MAF.
NO,NO! First step is to get a scan and see what error codes are up, then the above.

Regards,
Boris

When you say it seemed like it was running on 2 cylinders did you think that because it went slow (limp mode) or it was actually running on 2 cylinders you'd know it would be shaking a lot.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

I just read back over your posts and did you put petrol in your car at some point.

I just read back over your posts and did you put petrol in your car at some point.

Yep that was 25k miles ago . Is it possible that it has done some damage !! so long ago

Going to change the fuel filter before anything else! what do you think.

No Fault codes showed up when scanned today

I'm not sure about a2 injectors but my friend did the same in his mondeo and it wrecked his injectors,because diesel is basically oil so it lubricates whereas petrol is a solvent he said it burnt his injectors.

I'm not sure about a2 injectors but my friend did the same in his mondeo and it wrecked his injectors,because diesel is basically oil so it lubricates whereas petrol is a solvent he said it burnt his injectors.

Not smoking and so long ago I can't see that it could be an issue. With no management lights on I am thinking fuel filter.Can only hope.

Using my sister in Laws Fiesta makes me realise how good the little Audi is

Mines an 02 and it doesn't have an engine management light the later ones did but not the early ones, i think your best scanning it i just use a cheap obd scanner and it works fine.

Id suggest finding a member local who has vagcom and going for a drive and log engine blocks as would show up any fuel or boost problems , as could be something like the tamdem pump failing and a drop in fuel presure, as you say youv changed the injector harness and fuel filter , did you check or change the air filter , id also go as far as undoing the rubber boost inlet pipe off the end of the EGR valve and check its not all sooted up as when i serviced my daily driver on 170,000+ it was full of soot and gunked up blocking off nearly half the airway through

thought id add as miss read your replys, the fuel filter if gummed up would cause issues possibly lowering fuel pressure too which would not help, the age of the filter is not really anything to go by as you could of filled up with bad fuel at somepoint so id start ther and check the air filter too

Last edited:
Hi Sean,

Take jigsaw's advice and get a scan but VCDS members cannot see where you are (Location missing on posts). Where are you?

Andy

Hi Sean,

Take jigsaw's advice and get a scan but VCDS members cannot see where you are (Location missing on posts). Where are you?

Andy

Many thanks I am in Epping Essex, I have updated my profile now . I stay in Caterham about three times a week so north or south London will help.;

The saga continues: Today I changed the fuel filter which has drastically improved the running, its now drivable again, but still not 100%!! I then changed the air filter (no difference) I then gently cleaned the MAF hot wire still no difference.

I have a cheap diagnostics plug in device which shows no codes.

I am now of the opinion that I have perhaps contaminated the injectors as the fuel filter made a big difference is this possible, if so is it more than the car is worth to change them?

So the next question is will the VAGCOM check show up things like fuel pressures or injector faults So far I have only really spent money on service items so happy to get a scan any suggestions where? I get the impression Audi Chingford would rather deal with new cars instead of old like mine.

Thanks again for any help

Id sugest trying some liquid moly as tried it myself with great results ,

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?31964-A2-1-4-TDI-POOR-MPG-Liquid-Moly-Diesel-Purge-TEST

I recently swapped injectors in my TDI beasty and thought id run my old ones through my ultrasonic parts cleaner to see how they would come out as my local engine shop charges £35 plus vat for each injector to ultasonic clean them or £200 each to rebuild them ... I took 3 goes before i was happy the first 2 times the cleaning fluid went black as your hat in minutes and full of carbon particles in the bottom each time as replaced the solution, these injectors ran faultless but thought it was worth it to see for myself how dirty they really were, i was surprised of how much carbon builds up inside them , i did take a video but wont let me post it..

IMG_2488.jpgIMG_2487.jpgIMG_2490.jpg

Id sugest trying some liquid moly as tried it myself with great results ,

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?31964-A2-1-4-TDI-POOR-MPG-Liquid-Moly-Diesel-Purge-TEST

I recently swapped injectors in my TDI beasty and thought id run my old ones through my ultrasonic parts cleaner to see how they would come out as my local engine shop charges £35 plus vat for each injector to ultasonic clean them or £200 each to rebuild them ... I took 3 goes before i was happy the first 2 times the cleaning fluid went black as your hat in minutes and full of carbon particles in the bottom each time as replaced the solution, these injectors ran faultless but thought it was worth it to see for myself how dirty they really were, i was surprised of how much carbon builds up inside them , i did take a video but wont let me post it..

View attachment 30645View attachment 30646View attachment 30647

That sounds like a plan. Are they easy to remove?

Back to square one!! I went for a run in the car today as I peu in some injector cleaner and filled with decent fuel. it seemed to be getting better but after about 60 miles I am back to square one ....
It was much better just after the fuel filter was changed so perhaps dirt in the tank. I guess I need to get back under and take out the fuel filter and examine whats in it.

Is there a tank drain on the A2?

Thanks again for any help

Just an update in the hope this might help anybody else. In my original post I forgot to add that I hadn't used the Audi from January to June (away sailing). I left the car with about half a tank of diesel.
Once I changed the fuel filter it was about 80% better, so this lead me down the line of fuel starvation.
I took out the fuel pick up / sender assembly and inside is a small mesh filter this was slightly black with a bit of slime ?? I then blew out the fuel pipes so as I was getting a good return flow of air, possibly just blowing out the cooler and some pipe work. Changed the fuel filter again added another injector cleaner and she is good as new. I have now done around 300 miles and all is well. So I think I had some diesl bug growing somewhere in the pipework.
So if you leave you car for a long period then I would advise to fill the tank to the brim. The less free air space the better as the bug needs water / condensation to grow.
Thanks to everybody who offered advice.

Mines an 02 and it doesn't have an engine management light the later ones did but not the early ones, i think your best scanning it i just use a cheap obd scanner and it works fine.

All A2's have an engine management light, if yours doesn't light up at ignition then I suspect some has had a go at removing the led!

Sarge

Back