My wheel's clunking

zoics

Hey guys. I have uno problemo.

Lately, my little A2 started making a very worrying clunking noise from the front left wheel. I can hear it when going over speed bump and pot holes. I don`t hear it when driving (acc/decelerating). I thought it might be a bushing or drop link.

I went to the doctor and he said it`s the cv joint and that everything else is OK. I ordered outer CV joints (wheel side) at his advice. I bought the cheapest ones as he said that they may not fix the problem entirely. He suggested that new drive shafts might be needed if this fails.

He showed me the problem while the car was up on the car lift, and I found a video with the exact same problem as mine.
[YOUTUBE]APa41smFkLc[/YOUTUBE]

Did any of you encounter this problem? Will the outer CV joints fix anything? Because it's the Inner ones that clunk.
Just fyi, my A2 is a 2004 1.4tdi 75hp.

The original Audi rubber CV joints on the A2 are pretty hard-wearing. I didn't have to replace mine and we had the car over 10 years.

With the engine tray off its fairly simple to gain access to the drive shaft. Break the tension on the hub nut with the car on the ground. I'd be inclined to remove the entire shaft (held on with splined bolts at the transmission side) and with the shaft out you can feel for play.

In the video it's obvious the grease has been lost through damage to the rubber gaiter, so I'd look at an inner CV joint. You need a new hub bolt too when refitting.

In my opinion the "knocking" when rotating the wheel is free play in the diff---cv joint wear will show itself as a clunking sound when on full lock and accelerating (i have a left hand cv joint gone on my daily driver a2) i would have a better look at your drop links and anti roll bar-especialy if its the old style with the plastic collars. Or a broken spring may knock over bumps. Good luck mike

Thanks a lot for the feedback. Apparently, the noise is coming front the upper mounts. Something might be worn out in there.

Back