To repair or not??

Hi there,
I have had an A2 now for the last 4 years - 1.4 TDi 75 Silver(2001 reg) - standard one you see around. Cost me £3000 when i got it and had to repair a few things initially but been pretty good since then. I replaced the cambelt a few months ago at around 132,000 miles. It has just failed the MOT and i am looking at around £625 to repair it for the MOT with a few advisories that will probably need sorting next year.
I love the idea of an A2 but i think it is becoming impractical to continue owning one - i don't have the facilities nor the skills to do any car related maintenance myself other than general stuff - oil/tyres etc.
Just wondering if ye had any thoughts on the situation - garage are good but A2 is difficult to work with and so its the labour costs that are killing me.
Don't want to keep throwing money at the car.

Hi Declan

What items did it fail on? I don't think the A2 is difficult to work on, quite the opposite to be honest, its all well engineered and logically placed. Have you considered getting a quote from another garage? Depending on how badly it's failed the MOT (the worse the better) I could be interested in it for parts but it would have to be too far gone.

1 Front constant velocity joint gaiter damaged to extent it no longer prevents ingress of dirt. Nearside
2 Suspension arm has excessive play in a ball joint. Nearside Front
3 Rear wheel bearing rough when rotated Nearside.
4 Shock Absorber has a serious fluid leak Offisde Front.

Thanks.

1 Front constant velocity joint gaiter damaged to extent it no longer prevents ingress of dirt. Nearside
2 Suspension arm has excessive play in a ball joint. Nearside Front
3 Rear wheel bearing rough when rotated Nearside.
4 Shock Absorber has a serious fluid leak Offisde Front.

Thanks.

Nothing major there. Cv joint including gator £15 new. Front strut new from fk in Germany £25 inc carriage. Rear wheel bearing £30 ish or second hand £10. S/h suspension lower wishbone £20ish. Maybe £150 to £200 labour. About 4 to 6 hours work
Where about dare you in the country. If within a reasonable driving dist I could do these repairs for you in a day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing major there. Cv joint including gator £15 new. Front strut new from fk in Germany £25 inc carriage. Rear wheel bearing £30 ish or second hand £10. S/h suspension lower wishbone £20ish. Maybe £150 to £200 labour. About 4 to 6 hours work

Paul, in south Manchester I would expect to pay £50-55 per hour, plus VAT on top. So four to six hours labour would cost £240 to £360. I can see Declan's dilemma.

Andrew

just logged into the laptop and can now see Declan is based in Bristol, so my offer is unlikely to be of any use as Bristol is a long way from St Annes in Lancs.

I am in Trowbridge and could do these items for you if you source the parts. Nothing that is not too bad really part wise as others have stated.

I can't help but feel with what you have already invested the actual car value is greater to you than as is so worth investing more. I am always here to help any A2 owner that is in need and close enough. If interested let me know and lets see what we can do.

Back