Jacking an A2

Kleynie

A2OC Donor
Can anyone offer me advice on where to jack (with a trolley jack) and put axle stands. I need to change the front pads and disc's and the rear springs. Also tinkering with a wheel refurb where the car will be left on axle stands for a few days.

Cheers

Easiest way I have found when using a single trolley jack is to jack up the car on the centre of the subframe with a nice chunk of wood on the jack. This lifts the car evenly and allows stands to be placed either side. For the rear it is easier I think to use the Audi jack as this leaves the point for a jack stand. If you don't have one you can put the trolley jack under the spring and do it that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Easiest way I have found when using a single trolley jack is to jack up the car on the centre of the subframe with a nice chunk of wood on the jack. This lifts the car evenly and allows stands to be placed either side. For the rear it is easier I think to use the Audi jack as this leaves the point for a jack stand. If you don't have one you can put the trolley jack under the spring and do it that way.

Would you consider posting images indicating where you mean?

I struggle lifting the car onto axle stands because jacking one side 'leans' the car so much I've to one side - middle sounds ideal but I wouldn't want to punch through the cabin floor!

Spike - you really are the A2OC archivist!

I'm not actually sure I recognise those bits of the car though - need to go and have a look

Those are the proper under car jacking points and align closely with the Audi jacking points in the sill. If you look underneath around these points you will see them. They normally have a black protective cover in place, just visible in one of the pictures, but these often get lost or broken.

Spike - you really are the A2OC archivist!

I'm not actually sure I recognise those bits of the car though - need to go and have a look

If you can get some (they are on my shopping list), use rubber jack pads to save the metal and stop the 'cup-edges' of the trolley jack pushing up into the delicate plastic all around. Failing that a bit of wood does OK.

Or the centre of the subframe, but for doing that I tend to drive up some ramps and then stick a big bit of 6"x4" between jack and car.

Of course what we all need is one of those nice scissor lifts...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I used to use the jack that came with the car, then placed an axle stand under rear axle or indeed front wishbone. Throw the wheel that comes off the car under too for peace of mind.

If you can get some (they are on my shopping list), use rubber jack pads to save the metal and stop the 'cup-edges' of the trolley jack pushing up into the delicate plastic all around. Failing that a bit of wood does OK.

Or the centre of the subframe, but for doing that I tend to drive up some ramps and then stick a big bit of 6"x4" between jack and car.

Of course what we all need is one of those nice scissor lifts...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Like one of these :). Not the a2 on it but works fine on them also,saves so much hassle.

Attachments

• IMG_8770.JPG
    IMG_8770.JPG
    1,002.8 KB · Views: 195
Like one of these :). Not the a2 on it but works fine on them also,saves so much hassle.

Yes just like that: I'm envious but sadly the cost of getting the FSI running properly (£260 already for injector and special tool) will keep it off the shopping list for this year.

Back