KKL Diagnostic Interface Cable and VCDS Lite

Bargepower

A2OC Donor
I bought myself a Gendan Audi USB KKL Diagnostic Interface Cable and downloaded VCDS Lite from Ross Tech.
After a bit of faffing around, I've got it working but it only reads some of the sections shown on the software - for instance it doesn't read any of the engine section codes. Is this a limitation of the unregistered version that will work once I've paid and registered, or is it some form of operator error?
I don't want to pay out for a licence for the software if it's not going to work properly.
Sorry for all my daft questions!
Anyone out there know the answer?

I'd also be interested to hear what others on the forum have in VCDS. Has everyone got an official Ross tech product or are people making an unbranded cable work well with a £100license for VCDS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd also be interested to hear what others on the forum have in VCDS. Has everyone got an official Ross tech product or are people making an unbranded cable work well with a £100license for VCDS?

I have the cheap Chinese cable with VCDS lite and it doesn't read all the codes or show all the measuring blocks. The cable is a sod to set up and you have to go into the system settings to configure the COM port but once it's working and you remember to use the same USB slot it works fine. If I'd forked out for VCDS though I would buy the Kosher cable. I am more inclined though to buy the Foxwell handheld from Gendan. It seems to be more the ticket for a DIYer.

I'm also considering the Foxwell NT510 or the Ross-Tech VCDS HEX-V2 USB Package now, as it appears the Gendan cable and VCDS Lite isn't going to work.
It could, I suppose, be my laptop that's the fly in the ointment as it's an HP Pavilion with an AMD A8 64 bit processor running windows 10.
That might push me more towards the Foxwell...

I'm also considering the Foxwell NT510 or the Ross-Tech VCDS HEX-V2 USB Package now, as it appears the Gendan cable and VCDS Lite isn't going to work.
It could, I suppose, be my laptop that's the fly in the ointment as it's an HP Pavilion with an AMD A8 64 bit processor running windows 10.
That might push me more towards the Foxwell...

I think it will Bargepower, you just need to enter some settings for the com port. I remember it being something like a baud rate of 9600? I can't remember exactly but I do remember spending at least an hour trying to get the car to talk!

I've got it to connect to the car, but it only works on some of the items. This is why the Foxcom is appealing to me.

I've got it to connect to the car, but it only works on some of the items. This is why the Foxcom is appealing to me.

I had the same issue with Chinese cable and free version of vagcom until I fixed the baud rate at 9600 on the com port assigned to the cables USB port. It would connect to only certain modules and even only if I crossed my fingers. Once the 9600 setting was in it works each and every time
Reads all codes but will not do adaptation but for £6 I can't complain

I think mr Birchall put a post on here somewhere about setting up the COM port. I think mine was set even slower than that!

Some of the modules refused connection but I think it's because they were absent? Maybe...

The engine (01) module must be present (unless you are pioneering the electric conversion)
There are a number of modules which are not present in the A2 so don't expect every module to connect 01, 03, 46 are all present, the Airbag module is there also but I cant recall the number from memory, the radio module is there but only if you have a VAG head unit installed in the car, the instrument cluster module is there and the Aux heater module if you have a TDI (at least on the earlier models with Webasto heater)

Connecting to engine module was hit and miss until I fixed the BAUD rate at 9600, also try turning the key to the ignition position (dash lights all come on) just before you click the 'connect to engine module' button, I find if the ignition has been on for some time it will not always connect to the various modules. There I some 'clicking' from inside the dash somewhere (suspect the instrument cluster) when VAGCOM is trying to establish a connection (kind of like the A2 is talking back to VAGCOM in clicks)

Cheers,

Finally!
I've managed to connect to the Engine 01 module. I uninstalled the driver for the virtual serial port, and reinstalled the latest version from the manufacturer of the chip in the cable (http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm) instead of the one from Gendan. Set the baud rate to 9600 and it connected first time. I've now got to decide if to register VCDS Lite or buy the Foxwell NT510 :confused:
I've found an error code - P1190 lambda sensor reference voltage signal improbable bank 1 sensor 1 - which I presume means I need a new pre-cat lambda?
It also threw up another error about fuel trim, which I suppose is related to the lambda not working correctly, but I'm going to fix one thing at a time if it's not.
But, a result!

Finally!
I've managed to connect to the Engine 01 module. I uninstalled the driver for the virtual serial port, and reinstalled the latest version from the manufacturer of the chip in the cable (http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm) instead of the one from Gendan. Set the baud rate to 9600 and it connected first time. I've now got to decide if to register VCDS Lite or buy the Foxwell NT510 :confused:
I've found an error code - P1190 lambda sensor reference voltage signal improbable bank 1 sensor 1 - which I presume means I need a new pre-cat lambda?
It also threw up another error about fuel trim, which I suppose is related to the lambda not working correctly, but I'm going to fix one thing at a time if it's not.
But, a result!

Your are correct regarding the fuel trim code this will be incorrect due to O2 sensor failure. Before buying a new O2 sensor would be worth checking connect and wiring as both would cause the error code. I understand that the O2 sensor is the single most mid diagnosed sensor in a car. Food for thought
Registering vagcom is the way to go

Thanks for that Depronman, I'm off work now till Monday, so time enough for a poke round the wiring before I order a new one. If it stops raining, that is!
Just happy I got the cable and software working.
I think I'll register VCDS Lite and see how I get on with it.

Is registering Vag-com different to registering VCDS-lite?

I've got lite and think it's 99 quid to register.

Is vag-com not the name of the previous software iteration?

No same product different name

VAG-com is the total package (now known as VCDS) and not cheap, but worth it. VCDS lite "does what it says on the tin" it is a watered down version of VAG-com (VCDS)

But I am pretty sure that the term VAG-com can be a confusing one because I have other software I use to get the login codes for key programming and that is also called VAG.com but it is not like the GENDAN product at all.

Steve B

Last edited:
Back