Current to brake pad sensor? - warning on

Kennedy

A2OC Donor
Since replacing the front suspension I think I must have disturbed something on the N/S wheel, I have the brake pad warning light on.

A previous owner/mechanic has cut off the connector and directly connected the wire to bypass the brake pad indicator which isn't ideal but has been fine since I've owned the car. However, the warning light is now always on. I've tested the ABS connections on both sides and there is current on both so that is all fine. Should there be coninuous current on the brake pad warning circuit too? - there is no current on this wiring at the wheel/brake end.

Where else can I test the current on this circuit to determine if a wire is broken further up in the wiring loom (if indeed the wiring should be showing a continuous current) ?

Thanks,

Kennedy.

I believe that there should be a current flowing through the wire, else the light comes on (different to a lot of cars which use wires in the pad that are connected via the disc when the pad is low i.e. the pad makes the circuit) as the fiddle to get the light off is to connect both wires together.
Suggest looking in the loom inside the engine bay just before it exist through the front inner wing to the suspension strut. It is covered in an hard plastic sheath and also contains the ABS wires so DON'T cut through the entire loom

When I did both of mine I replaced the wires from just inside the engine bay to the brake pad connector, from memory I got the connector from ebay or CPC for a couple of quid (or you can join the wires inside the engine bay and monitor pad wear manually)

Cheers,

Cheers Paul, yep that's what I thought so I may well have a broken wire further up the wiring loom.

It is possible that when I changed the topmounts I could've moved the cabling slightly where its all bundled together. I'll have to do some careful cable surgery, I just wish the wires were a bit thicker (which would probably mean I wouldn't have a problem in the first place!)

Kennedy.

Back