A/C Woes - Pretty Strange....

Evripidis

Hi all,

I came across a very strange situation today I'd like to share with you hoping for any comments.

The comrpessor has been changed (the previous one was seized solid) and the system was vacuum tested and recharged. Held a vacuum for 10 hours. The car is fitted with climate control by the way. The A/C was blowing ice cold (around 10 degrees Celcius) soon after the recharge took place and for a good 15 minutes. After that and for nearly a week it was only blowing 20 degrees Celcius at the centre vents (ambient around 38 degrees in Cyprus). After researching the forum I found out that the G263 sensor might be the culprit.

Today I set out to see if I could get to the sensor but first I thought I'd double-check the pressures with my gauge set. The pressures looked fine and at the same time I had noticed a leak where the condenser joins with the hoses (probably o-ring related or similar). I unplugged the hoses (gutted) and stepped inside the car to switch it off and the temperature at the vents was 6 degrees Celcius! I drove around town and for a whole day the temperature had not risen above 13 degrees!!!

Is this G263 related and is an intermittent fault or is there anything else I should be looking for ?

Cheers, Evros

Hi Spike,

Thanks for replying. The second link is the guide I set out to follow this morning when this happened.

I am guessing that the G263 is a thermistor and all the failed thermistors I have come across, fail in the same manner. Do you think it can be replaced with an off the shelf thermistor from an electronics store? The main problem for me is getting the part at the moment because if it is a common fault them getting a used one might not be a good idea.
Regards,
Evros

Hi Spike,

Thank you for the resistance chart and the follow-up links. I had not found them in my previous searches. The guy in the russian forum appears to be talking about a broken wire. In any case I'll take it out today and have a look.

I think I have found a thermistor that is suitable for replacement, this is it:

http://uk.farnell.com/vishay/ntcle203e3272fb0/thermistor-ntc-2k7-1-radial/dp/1187038

If you scroll down to page 4 and see the values at columns 1 and 2 they are very-very close to the ones listed in the link that you have posted (coming probably from the VAG software). Now all I need is a way of having one tiny thermistor shipped down here! Farnell really do vary their shipping rules.

Evros

Managed to order some samples from the Vishay website and also placed an order from the Farnell export website. Lets see how long they take to arrive.

Back