Restoration of headlights first job on A2

rippling

Well today first full day with my A2 so decided to do alittle at a time. First job the headlights were shocking!.

I started with 600 wet and dry paper water and fairy lipsuid! lots of it!!!. used this to take all the bad plastic off, it looked like someone had used something that ate into the plastic.

After that used 1000 grit then 2000 to refine the scratches i made.

Next job hit it with cutting compound and polisher.

The final result then got a coat of wax to protect it from uv and grime.

Looks not to bad now for around 40 mins work.
sorry for pics all over the shop......

IMG_0012.jpgIMG_0013.jpgIMG_0014.jpgIMG_0015.jpgIMG_0016.jpgIMG_0017.jpgIMG_0018.jpg

Last edited:
Good job. It's surprising the difference it makes to the appearance when they are cleaned up.
Save your masking tape when you do the other side and remove the headlight, it's only a couple of bolts and a connector.

Nice carpet in the garage;)

Oh i removed the 1st one but juggling my 6 inch polished and holding the headlight between my legs looked very dangerous.
Oh its parents garage my mom loves her carpets!!!

I have conpounded the whole car today. went over entire car with 2500 grit wet and dry. then compounded it. My father came in when the car was drying off before compound. He just about fell away....What have you donr to the paint!! haha.
Anyway car has been washed. Tommorow after hospital it will be panel wipe. and paint sealant. Pics will follow.

Thanks for the information and pictures, what a difference, looks great so much fresher and your lights will be brighter, I need to do mine now.

Probably too late now, but the headlights are REALLY easy to remove. Would have saved on masking perhaps?

I did similar to my headlights a couple of months back and it's makes a huge difference as you've done here h.

One thing to note is that it's important to apply uv protection to the headlights as this will have been removed from the top later. Wax or sealant regular top ups or hazing will return fairly quickly.

One thing to note is that it's important to apply uv protection to the headlights as this will have been removed from the top later. Wax or sealant regular top ups or hazing will return fairly quickly.

Hi cheechy. Have you a recommended product? Cannot see anything on ebay as a stand-alone products (not part of a restoration kit). Some international sellers are selling UV film but are these legal (and many are tinted).

Edit. Another search finds Meguiar's Headlight Protectant 296ml on ebay for £12.03 including postage.

Last edited:
Uv protection is via any ESC or sealant really but the key is really ensuring you keep it topped up regularly just like the bodywork.

Back