Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forum Software Updates

Forum Software Updates

Hello,

The A2OC has been running very reliably for a number of years on the vBulletin 4 forum software. However, we appreciate that there are some shortcomings in this version that we use. In particular, we want to provide improved image posting support, and more accurate search results.

The team are currently reviewing options for improving the forum software platform that the site runs on. Options include upgrading to the latest vBulletin version 5, or moving to one of their competitors. Once we've reviewed the relevant options, we'll setup demo environments for a select group of members to help us test any proposed new system.

This process is likely to take a month or so. After this, we'll decide the most appropriate software to run the site on. Please note that one of the candidates is XenForo - who themselves are in the process of releasing a major new version. If we go down this route, then we'll be constrained by the release date of the new XenForo 2 (as it would be a lot of effort to migrate the the current version, and then re-migrate to the new version). For those that are interested, you can read more here: https://xenforo.com/

Thanks

Ben

2. 7 users that liked this post:

Birchall (04-09-2017), depronman (24-09-2017), johnyfartbox (04-09-2017), murdo (11-09-2017), Sarge (04-09-2017), Special edition (04-09-2017), Teresa (04-09-2017)

Yay :-) looking forward to it.
    Steve
    0779zero965448

Lots of parts/spares for sale - please click the link

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread...equest-A2Steve

Project TDI150 on its way :-)

4. Users that liked this post:

Teresa (04-09-2017)

Good stuff

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ebony Black 1.6 FSI

I'm interested to know how this is funded? I'm a member of two BMW forums and pay 10 quid per year, I wouldn't mind paying that to be on this forum but could not find a subscription page anywhere?
    Project - May 2003 A2 1.4i Sport, Azur Blue, black sports seats with lumbar, open sky, 17" 9 spoke wheels.
    Daily driver - July 2015 BMW 535d GT M Sport, Sophistico grey/ivory leather comforts, 21" wheels, head up display and 10 speaker Gladen audio install.

Quote Originally Posted by Kleynie View Post
    I'm interested to know how this is funded? I'm a member of two BMW forums and pay 10 quid per year, I wouldn't mind paying that to be on this forum but could not find a subscription page anywhere?
    There's a contribution link as in the picture.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a2oc.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	31091
    | 2002 TDI 75 Sport | Ebony black | OSS | Cruise control | DIS | Bench seats |

8. Users that liked this post:

Sarge (04-09-2017)

thanks. I've just donated 10 quid.
    Project - May 2003 A2 1.4i Sport, Azur Blue, black sports seats with lumbar, open sky, 17" 9 spoke wheels.
    Daily driver - July 2015 BMW 535d GT M Sport, Sophistico grey/ivory leather comforts, 21" wheels, head up display and 10 speaker Gladen audio install.

10. 4 users that liked this post:

Alan_uk (04-09-2017), Birchall (04-09-2017), Sarge (04-09-2017), Special edition (04-09-2017)

IPB all the way... but I'm biased

- Bret
    Do not expect spoonfeeding, you will be disappointed.

2002 Petrol. Modded inside. 'nuff said.
    German A2 Forum Administrator.

Good luck with the choice.
    Main concern would be "will it succeed to convert all our old data"
    A2 1.6 FSI (01/2006), LY7W, 16" TT 195/50, CC, APS, Becker Indianapolis 7952, Koni-FSD's, Votex-kit, H&R Stabis
    A2 1.4 TDI (09/2004, LY9B, 17" S-line 205/40, Open Sky System, BOSE, Navi-Plus, climate control, heated beige leather sports seats, multi function steering wheel Aztec Yellow, 4x electric windows, cruise control, DIS, acoustic parking system, auto dimming rear view mirror, side guard airbags, headlight washers, heated mirrors, H7-Leds, Votex bodykit, H&R Stabi's

13. 2 users that liked this post:

Birchall (04-09-2017), depronman (24-09-2017)

the time taken is the next issue, followed by all the plugins, followed by the look and feel.

- Bret
    Do not expect spoonfeeding, you will be disappointed.

2002 Petrol. Modded inside. 'nuff said.
    German A2 Forum Administrator.

Quote Originally Posted by ben View Post
    Hello,

The A2OC has been running very reliably for a number of years on the vBulletin 4 forum software. However, we appreciate that there are some shortcomings in this version that we use. In particular, we want to provide improved image posting support, and more accurate search results.

The team are currently reviewing options for improving the forum software platform that the site runs on. Options include upgrading to the latest vBulletin version 5, or moving to one of their competitors. Once we've reviewed the relevant options, we'll setup demo environments for a select group of members to help us test any proposed new system.

This process is likely to take a month or so. After this, we'll decide the most appropriate software to run the site on. Please note that one of the candidates is XenForo - who themselves are in the process of releasing a major new version. If we go down this route, then we'll be constrained by the release date of the new XenForo 2 (as it would be a lot of effort to migrate the the current version, and then re-migrate to the new version). For those that are interested, you can read more here: https://xenforo.com/

Thanks

Ben
    Hi Ben,
    If you need any help drop me a line as I have a lot of experience in this area.