Forum Software Updates

ben

Administrator
Ukraine
Hello,

The A2OC has been running very reliably for a number of years on the vBulletin 4 forum software. However, we appreciate that there are some shortcomings in this version that we use. In particular, we want to provide improved image posting support, and more accurate search results.

The team are currently reviewing options for improving the forum software platform that the site runs on. Options include upgrading to the latest vBulletin version 5, or moving to one of their competitors. Once we've reviewed the relevant options, we'll setup demo environments for a select group of members to help us test any proposed new system.

This process is likely to take a month or so. After this, we'll decide the most appropriate software to run the site on. Please note that one of the candidates is XenForo - who themselves are in the process of releasing a major new version. If we go down this route, then we'll be constrained by the release date of the new XenForo 2 (as it would be a lot of effort to migrate the the current version, and then re-migrate to the new version). For those that are interested, you can read more here: https://xenforo.com/

Thanks

Ben

I'm interested to know how this is funded? I'm a member of two BMW forums and pay 10 quid per year, I wouldn't mind paying that to be on this forum but could not find a subscription page anywhere?

I'm interested to know how this is funded? I'm a member of two BMW forums and pay 10 quid per year, I wouldn't mind paying that to be on this forum but could not find a subscription page anywhere?

There's a contribution link as in the picture.

a2oc.jpg

Hello,

The A2OC has been running very reliably for a number of years on the vBulletin 4 forum software. However, we appreciate that there are some shortcomings in this version that we use. In particular, we want to provide improved image posting support, and more accurate search results.

The team are currently reviewing options for improving the forum software platform that the site runs on. Options include upgrading to the latest vBulletin version 5, or moving to one of their competitors. Once we've reviewed the relevant options, we'll setup demo environments for a select group of members to help us test any proposed new system.

This process is likely to take a month or so. After this, we'll decide the most appropriate software to run the site on. Please note that one of the candidates is XenForo - who themselves are in the process of releasing a major new version. If we go down this route, then we'll be constrained by the release date of the new XenForo 2 (as it would be a lot of effort to migrate the the current version, and then re-migrate to the new version). For those that are interested, you can read more here: https://xenforo.com/

Thanks

Ben

Hi Ben,
If you need any help drop me a line as I have a lot of experience in this area.

Hi

Apologies for the lack of updates. We were expecting to be migrating this month, however the new release (v2) of our chosen platform (XenForo) has not yet come out of beta testing. We could move to the current release (v1.5) now. However, any customisations that are applied would have to be redone in XenForo 2. As a result, we're going to hold off until the production release is available. The XenForo developers release regular beta updates, so we're not far away from a release. See here for updates:

https://xenforo.com/community/forums/announcements/

Thanks for your patience. Hopefully we'll be on the new platform by Christmas.

Ben

Summit 360 Forum Software Thingy is used by VAGs premier brand SKODA, Forum BRISKODA in the UK nice and not bogged doon by Welsh Minor Breakers.

Summit 360 Forum Software Thingy is used by VAGs premier brand SKODA, Forum BRISKODA in the UK nice and not bogged doon by Welsh Minor Breakers.

Why the snide comment?

To keep our cars on the road we need parts, why can't you see that?

Other sites would love to have a source of very low priced parts available.

A2Steve and Sarge and people like Depronman etc.are a bonus on here.

I am VERY pleased with the friendly, informative and very useful club we have.

A source of help, parts and advice, that is the lifeblood of a club like ours and so friendly (with one or two exceptions!!!!!!)

Steve B

Last edited:

thats a little uncalled for oddie :/ unless you experienced something that no other member has from steve regarding his services or its just a coincidence that people think you are referring to him :/ would be nice for you to explain before this causes chaos :)

Back