Brake warning light and other things.

Seveer

Hi,

We have a "rough around the edges" 2002 A2, good runner despite the numerous electrical glitches that appear from time to time which I am led to believe are down to a malfunctioning CCCU unit. However, good runner nevertheless for my missus who now does approx 100 miles per week. (she has gotten used to the climate control, electric windows, central locking etc going on and off when they please)

A few days ago it refused to start at her work, after a bit of head scratching she was bump started and on her way. I took it to work for the next few days and again after a while it failed to start until a bump start got it going. Clicking from the engine bay whilst trying to start ... I would assume a new starter motor is required?

However, since then we have had the glow plug light flashing while driving which from research on here may suggest a new brake sensor is needed ... and now we have the yellow ABS light and the red brake warning light appear whilst driving but only the once and hasn't appeared since.

Is all this related to the brake sensor or starter motor or is it a sign of something more serious?

Many thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.

Seveer

Hello, you would need to make a diganostico with vagcom to be able to help you better. The lights that you say I think they stay when the control unit detects a fault and goes into limp mode. It does not have to be serious, I am lit the same when I remove the MAF sensor.

A greeting.

Andrew

Re Starting.. If you have a jump lead, use it to earth the engine to the body, make sure its a good earth, if the car starts, bingo.

Buy an earth strap and and remake the connection.

I went from the engine mount on the cambelt side, to the front suspension mount. No more starting issues.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/9-Classic...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Get the guy to drill the tabs M10 and M8 for no extra cost! couple of washers and you are good to go. Cured my engine light as well! low earth is no help.

For £2.99 and about 5 mins work you have at least one thing off the list.

For the flashing glow plug symbol (and other accompanying brake related lights on the dash) it is worth checking that both brake light bulbs are working first.

Get someone (or use a reflection behind) to make sure that the brake lights are operating every time.

If it is the brake lights or brake light switch it could be intermittent. The error would only appear when you drive and press the brake. The error does not come on when you are stationery, but stays on once displayed until the ignition is switched off and only reappears when you press the brake pedal while moving.

Steve B

Back