[1.6 FSI Start Problem] - Stuck really.

Evripidis

Hi all,

This time we got stranded; the car had a problem of warm starting which has now evolved into a cold start problem that has left us stranded this morning (we got a lift in the end). This is how the story goes:

1. The car will not start after a short trip 60% of the times which has slowly evolved into a worse rate.

2. There is a MAF problem (P0102) and since yesterday I had to unplug it for the car to run properly, i.e., the RPMs would fluctuate greatly even up to +-800-1000. Unplugging the MAF made no difference in the starting problem.

3. The Fuel Metering valve N290 was unplugged (unknown by whom) so I plugged it back in. This also has made no difference to the starting issue.

4. The ECT G62 which also turns up on the fault code list (P0117); must have been messed with. The connector was cut and rejoined with tape. The wire colours were different on the connector side and the car loom side; and I only hope the person who did this made a 1-1 connection. Anyhow I repaired it with soldering, heat-shrink and tesa loom tape. I believe the sensor needs replacing right ? This could cure the starting problem I believe with a correct A/F ratio ?

5. The post-cat oxygen sensor has also been messed with; the connectors have both been cut off and the loom rejoined with tape. Repaired this as well withoutn knowing what the previous person did. The replacement sensor has a white and a grey wire. Not really sure how this would affect the starting since it must only be there for monitoring the pre-cat one.

6. There is an F265 error code P1292 that I am not really sure why ?

7. There is a P1031 error code. All I did was check that the vacuum actuator can move freely. Nothing more on this at te moment.

Can anyone find any correllations on these ? I am on my way to replacing the G62 because it is easy and cheap enough and could cure this.

On a different note; I replaced the droplinks after 67boris pointing them out and this has cured the annoying clunk which is a bonus.

Cheers,
Evros

Crikey. My car had suffered something similar and I spent a lot of money at the menders just getting the wiring harness fixed and everything plugged in properly, which must be the starting point. It feels like the post cat oxygen sensor may be non-gen, which may actually upset the ECU more than a failed OEM one.

Have you tried the engine speed sensor, the plug for which is tucked halfway down the rear edge of the cambelt cover. When I did my fuel injector (this is going to start to sound like Uncle Albert's "During the War" stories), i forgot to plug it in and there wasn't a flicker of life when I turned it over. If that is intermittently failing then this could be the cause of the starting failures.

You have my sympathy re the FSI. Mine got a thorough going over by A2Cars in April last year (flaps, cross-pipe, cambelt, wiring repairs etc.) and came back singing. Then we had the post cat lambda sensor and then slowly a misfire developed. One replaced injector later, I now get exhaust fumes in the cabin, which can only be a blown EGR pipe. There seems never to be an end to it but all the repairs feel worth it when the thing is actually running properly!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quite frankly, I did not touch anything else. I will check the wiring for the speed sensor. Thanks. Any ideas for the ECT sensor plug wiring/colours.

Evrow

OK,

It has been exactly 24 hours with it being left in the middle of practically nowhere and the only way out is calling roadside at this stage. Things are a bit different around here so any ideas regarding this issue are very-very welcome. Brainstorming is also welcome. The tank is full and before it started refusing to start it did a 60km trip uphill without skipping a beat!

Evros

Replaced ECT and the battery. A bit of an ordeal since the boot mechanism sticks 90% of the times and the manual release had also been undone.

Now it starts first go and does not stutter and die after 2 seconds. Not really sure if this is because the MAF is unplugged or because the ECT was malfunctioning.

Evros

Looks like Monday afternoon visit for a scan again if you're ok with it.

Regards,
Boris

I finish work at 5:30, but if I get a chance, I could pop up to your place as I think you're fairly close to the School.
Will talk tomorrow.

Back