A2 in DD2

Robin_Cox

Since I decided to take the plunge and buy an A2 as my car for everyday use, I've been reading A2OC avidly to get an idea of what to look out for. One thing that has come immediately to mind is that the A2 inspires the same passion in members here as on the forums for other cars I either own now or have owned in the last 5 years - a Yeti, a 2CV, a Citigo and an A6 with the almost S4 2.7 biturbo engine, and in that sense, I'm heartened by the amount of helpful advice and general knowledge visible here - I have learnt a lot.

I picked up my A2 in London off Autotrader - single owner dark grey metallic 2004 1.4 Tdi 75 SE (BHC), 113k, valet, belts and service done by the dealer for resale. The 460 mile drive up went smoothly enough despite horrific traffic on the M6 last Friday afternoon and I was impressed at how pokey the engine is in 5th when coming away from 50mph average speed sections and how quietly it cruises when up to 70. A few things need doing - new battery, front discs, possibly the coolant sensor (judging by odd behaviour of the temperature gauge - under 60 degrees at 70 mph then perfect 90 when sitting in traffic jams that fell away again when back up to speed, ODB reader code suggests coolant sensor open circuit or similar) and the driver side strut mount bearing is grumbling judging by noises when moving at low speed. Other than that there are only a few scratches and marks you'd expect at 13 years old that should polish out with a bit of T-Cut and decent wax. Upgrades I'm pencilling in - replacement heated mirror glass already in the garage, ultimately I would like the cruise & DIS conversions, probably 6-speed and the Depronman remap, but those are next year's wish list.

Having never driven an A2 previously, I was curious to see how much of a blind-spot the A pillars were as this was something I remembered from several reviews back 15+ years ago. I am beginning to wonder how many of the commentators back in the day were 5'10 or taller. I'm down at 5'5 with a significantly further forward seating position, and I found that exactly where I do encounter visibility issues sometimes in the Citigo and have to bob around a bit to look for traffic when pulling out of certain angles of T-junction, in the A2 there is a perfectly-situated quarterlight or the side window giving a clear view, and I had no qualms whatsoever driving on the North Circular and M1 minutes after setting off.

Thanks again to all of the people who have posted useful information that I have read exhaustively over the past month - I'm certainly going to be getting in contact about parts and upgrade services from the usual people here.

Welcome to the forum from another previous 2CV owner, I had a couple and wish I had kept hold of them looking at prices now!

I am 6'2" and the screen pillars have never bothered me either, think it was a bit of journalist hype to be honest, I was in my S-Max yesterday and 'lost' an Astra in the blind spot in that at a junction, a really close shave and yet the S-Max doesn't get overly critised in the press.

Back