Dreaded Thermostat - 1.6 fsi

jamie2126

Hi All,

Looks like thermostat has failed - temp gauge fluctuates, temp sensor replaced issue still seen. Does anyone know if I need to replace the whole housing or if I can source & replace the element as there seems to be 3 screws on the outside of the housing where I guess the element is located ?

Any advise would be helpful.

Thanks

Jamie

Just the thermostat. It comes with a replacement sealing rubber ring. It's easy to replace ... use the search faciliity of the Forum. I replaced mine recently and I did it without even needing to drain-down the coolant!

David

Thanks David - did a search earlier and most results relate to the TDi and the posts for FSi relate to swapping out the whole housing. How much did you purchase the part for - looks to be around £70 ?

Got it wrong and deleted my original post after reading Nick's reply

Also found this rather basic workshop guide on stat replacement

Cheers Spike

Attachments

• A2fsiStat.JPG
    A2fsiStat.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 557
Last edited:
I vaguely remember the workshop guide recommending to remove the gearbox mount and suspend the engine on an engine hoist to give better access to the thermostat housing, which is a bit over the top but i will admit the thermostat is a PITA to get to...

I vaguely remember the workshop guide recommending to remove the gearbox mount and suspend the engine on an engine hoist to give better access to the thermostat housing, which is a bit over the top but i will admit the thermostat is a PITA to get to...

It is indeed. I don't have fond memories of doing that, particularly as it didn't need doing and turned out that it had been done the year before! Would definitely drop the engine a bit next time as that mount is quite easily undone.

The better news for you is that I still have the undamaged 2014 manufactured part. Would £30 posted suit you?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back