Smoke for 5 sec after start? 2004 1.4TDI ATL (92k)

Olerype

Does your TDI make smoke for a few seconds after start (if being at standstill during night)?It also make some smoke if I floor it at the highway. The smoke it not blue nor white.

Normal as there is no DPF, or sign of bad seals somewhere (e.g turbo)?

Hi Olerype,

I have an ATL and it doesn,t "smoke" at all. I am no mechanic but a smokey exhaust used to signal worn piston rings. It can also mean an incorrect remap or poor servicing relating to oil and filter changes. Not much help I know but maybe a member with more knowledge may add to this.

Cheers
Dave:)

Last edited:
In case of worn piston rings I would expect more permanent smoke and also lack of power (compression)?

Oil and filter replaced 3200 miles ago at Audi dealership. Original map.

Have you been looking at the exhaust if someone else start the engine?

No but I will do that for you... if they are no masses of black smoke then I think that theres nothing to worry about.

Thanks alot! Please let the engine sit for 12+hours.

Smoke is grey. And last just a few seconds after start.

Thanks alot! Please let the engine sit for 12+hours.

Smoke is grey. And last just a few seconds after start.

Smoke like that is often down to worn valve guides, This allows some oil to run down the gap when the engine is hot and it then gets burned off in the first few seconds, but that is bluey in colour normally, so I wouldn't worry about it, especially if the oil level does not need frequent top ups..

I suppose that you are sure that it is not steam? This happens on cold starts when an engine is in good condition even.

The black smoke when accelerating harder than normal (often up hill) is reasonably common. An Italian tune up normally helps remove that, especially if the car does not get driven hard normally.

Steve B

Thanks alot for good tips! I will try to have a second look again, perhaps record it and post a link. Will also recheck oil and waterfluid levels.

Thanks again.

You could try a can of Forte diesel conditioner. I used to use this from time to time if I had emission issues. On cars with diesel filters in the engine bay the conditioner could replace the fuel in the filter so it went to the engine neat. Start it up and drive hard in first through to third gears and it would smoke momentarily. Then replace the fuel filter (remembering to top up with fresh diesel). Unfortunately fuel filter is under A2 near rear passenger wheel. Pain in the butt to access and replace.

I'd still try Forte straight into the fuel tank. Fuel filter change from memory is every 40k miles.

I'd also check glow plugs. 1.4TDI takes three. Easy enough to replace. Lube thread with light grease and do not over torque.

Oh boy; checked the oil and watercoolant since last time. Both seems to have dropped. Refilled 0,1l oil to get i back in the middle. Will continue to track the levels from now.

No error codes with VCDS.

Glowplugs brand new from dealership, but have a suspicion that the circuit does not work since it glows for the same period of time regardless outside temperature.

Here is a video of the smoke;
https://youtu.be/HoOzLGI4WmE

It's difficult o tell, but that doesn't look much different from our TDI90. Ours uses a little oil which at 198000 miles is not really a surprise .We have lovely sooty patches on the drive where the a2 usually sits. I have to confess it is worse in the winter, we have 2 faulty/broken glow plugs.

Back