front end issues: bearing, arms or bushings or?

OldSchool

A2OC Donor
hi guys...

my 2001 A2 TDI has been driving great until recently...

i have just moved house and use the A2 to make many trips (taking the rear seats out) with pretty heavy loads...

everything was going fine until the 2nd to last trip i noticed a slight sound at around 40 - 45 mph like a thump thump thump but very slight...

the trip after that it was slightly louder and i noticed that if i was accelerating the sound went away and it was only evident if i was off the gas and just coasting...

the 3rd trip the sound got much louder and was more consistent at all speeds so decided to not drive the car until i figure out what is the problem...

any thoughts?

the car isn't sitting funny or lower or off-kilter in any way as if a suspension mount has failed or spring has collapsed or something like that...

so possibly wheel bearing or arm or? or possible the drive shaft thingy to the wheels (the mount for it maybe?)

also, I've just moved to Hook, Hampshire if anyone can recommend a garage...

on another note my AA breakdown service has decided to not come out until three days have passed of my updating then with new car unless i pay them 49 quid even though they never cared before and told me i could call them out even if I was using someone elses car - now somehow it is just for the car i have on file and there is 3 day wait after updating with new car.

Last edited:
I would have said a front wheel bearing is on its way out, especially if the noise lessens when accelerating. Can you jack the front up and check for play?

I have a similar thump thump thump sound coming from my exhaust bumping into a broken hanger. Worth a check?

Yat

Wheel bearings tend to change noise as you steer to that side - at least mine did. If you slalom a little (safely) and the noise doesn't change between heading left and right then I don't think front bearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are easiest to check, turn the steering either side and look for the damage on the rubber on either end.

That depends on the road surface, is the noise rhythmical, does the frequency increase with speed?

loose wheel is a +1, worth a check.

After that it sounds like a wheel bearing, specially if the noise changes with speed

That depends on the road surface, is the noise rhythmical, does the frequency increase with speed?

i my case yes it is always rythmical but would stop when I was accelerating then would return when I took my foot off the gas pedal...

when I decided to stop driving it till I could figure out what was wrong it had started making noise all the time and it was much louder... but still pulsed in rhythm slow when going slow and sped up when going faster...

it didn't make noise when going over a bump, it was only on rotating of wheels... i mean, like it didn't clang over bumps...

i work nights so I have a limited window of opportunity to investigate in daylight...

I'll try and take some photos tuesday...

loose wheel is a +1, worth a check.

After that it sounds like a wheel bearing, specially if the noise changes with speed

when noise got louder it did seem to me like potentially loose wheel and i stopped the car and looked around wheels they looked solid and straight... but that is no guarantee it isn't loose wheel...

will a bad wheel bearing get louder as it gets worse and then could potentially starting making noise all the time - that is not stop making noise when accelerating?

Bearing will get louder as it gets worse. Get it on a ramp and take a look... rotate a wheel with a hand on the spring, you'll feel the vibrations if the bearing is bad.
Could be a joint, but then that should click. If it is a joint and it's not clicking, the implication is that it's probably the inner joint, which means you may need the whole shaft.

- Bret

Even if you're not mecahnically minded, eliminate the loose wheel idea first (its free!).
Jack the car up, grab the tyre like a steering wheel, if it moves, tighten the wheel nuts.
If it still moves after tightening, it could be a wheel bearing.

Ok I turned steering wheel hard right and had a look...

The rubber bits covering what looks like the drive shaft where it connects to wheels look brand new

I tried uploading photos on me phone but not successful

The arm part on the bottom area of suspension looks solid too

So this kinda points to bearings maybe?

AA guy will be here shortly for better perspective

To test the drive shaft, check for lateral movement. There shouldn't be any.

RAB

Will do right now... that means side to side?

So it should just rotate but if it jiggles back and forth it's bad?

Back