Does service history mean anything these days?

roc-a-rhol

A2OC Donor
Wales
hi all

my a2 is now 15yrs old, and on approx 155k miles. up until now shes had a full service history from a number of garages.

at £100 or so a pop, i do wonder if at this point in their lives, whether i need to be taking her to a garage to get fluids changed.

if you consider the falling value of the car, do the last 5 services (say for arguments sake costs £500) warrant adding an extra £500 to the cars value? i highly doubt it.

some would argue that a regular service also allows a garage to check over the other fundamentals in the car, but id hope the mot would cover the brakes, wipers, etc.

so, in your opinions, is it worth having a slip of paper to say that shes been serviced recently, or do you just do it yourself and mention that when the time comes to offering her to a new owner?

thanks
drew

.......... or do you just do it yourself and mention that when the time comes to offering her to a new owner?
drew

'Mention' is a bit weak, back it up with file of materials receipts, log date and mileage. Then I think then you are within you rights to claim continued FSH, but you should mention recent services are by you.

As to your main question, personally I would go DIY at 155k, as long as you are confident of your ability. I think the general buyer of high mileage cars (I realise the TDI is a bit of an exception) is not fussy, just want something that goes with no faults at a budget price.

Andy

Personally, my self, i don't think it's worth paying Audi extortionate prices for general servicing when these cars are now so old. Caveat at the end. Audi are not any better than anyone else tbh! I've had fully maintained main dealer Audi cars that have had all sorts of screws and clips missing on under trays etc etc when i bought them at just 6 years old. These cars with the odd exceptional owner are viewed as cheap runarounds by most hence why when they give trouble many are getting scrapped because it's just not economical to repair given the cars value. I'm one of the odd exceptions as i see an exceptional A2 as something worth keeping and maintaining to a high standard. If you're servicing yourself it's always best to keep all receipts and dates mileages etc when work was carried out as this is still the history of the car. Many devoted A2 owners will do a better more caring job themselves of servicing if they have the knowledge. The caveat is,..........in another 10 years from now having a full main dealer stamped service book might, might being the operative word, make an investor pay a little over the odds but by that time a nice car will be rare to find and an enthusiast will pay a good price whether it has full history or part of and self servicing.

We picked up our A2 last year with a massive file of Full Audi History which did give some comfort on buying an unknown car, but to be fair wouldn't have made much difference to the purchase decision if it had been independent garage. When it comes to home servicing we have bought cars with this before but only privately and where all the receipts are there.

This is what I have started to do now, just regular servicing items, I have made up some stickers to put in the service book which look a bit like a service stamp and say it's a home service and then made up a service sheet showing what has been done with receipts attached, thought it looked a bit more professional.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Personally I would favour a car that's had home servicing over one that's had dealer servicing, I believe owners will take more care of their own car than any dealer would. Note I have not included indies as there are some great ones around.

Back