Heated Mirror Lens / Glass

66Beetle

A2OC Donor
Anyone know who does a top quality replacement A2 Heated Mirror Glass / Lens please ?

I bought one on eBay a couple of years ago but it is crap compared to the Original Audi A2 Heated Mirror. Does not clear properly, as it just does not have the numbers of Heated lines on it. I have just been putting up with it but now it's just passed the MOT after a new Manifold Cat, I,m getting the Air Con fixed with a new Condenser, had new Rear Shoes and Wheel Cylinders, I might as well get everything working !

Think you can still get Genuine Audi replacements but they are very expensive.

I bought 2 sets of non-OEM ones, neither fitted correctly, in the end I got my money back and bought 2nd hand OEM ones from eBay.

ALKAR Drivers Door Heated Mirror Glass arriving from Germany today. If it is the bizo I'll take photos of the Heater Element compared to the crap one.

It's coming UPS, so the biggest part of the is the carriage. ''Twas about £18 inc delivery.

Can these by retro fitted? I seem to have the loom in the mirror housing.
Hi yes
the loom is there and connected and works.
This is in all A2s (not sure about the 1.2 but all others have it there)

Steve B

Turns out the Alkar Heated Drivers Door Mirror Glass is a big disappointment ! Un clipped the old one no problem. Could not get the Alkar one on at all. The " legs " that are supposed to clip it on just do not seem to be the right sort of plastic. They bend and fold over. Tried putting the old one back on. I can clip that on and off in an instant, as many times as you like. Ended up sicking it on with 4 self adhesive Velcro dots. Can't comment on whether what I wanted, a Heating Element that worked, is any good or not until we get some frozen mirrors. May never find out. I expect it to just fall out on the road some day soon !

Have emailed my opinion on the Alkar part to both the manufacturer Alkar and the supplier in Germany Autodoc.

Neither the supplier or manufacturer replied. Do I just take it they are both disreputable companies, or give them a bit longer and see if either gets back to me ?

It's a shame it does not fit as I tried connecting the wires and putting the Heated Rear Window on. The ALKAR Mirror Lens heats up a treat ! As well as, if not even better than, the Genuine Audi Mirror on the passenger door. Just can't get it to stay on the car.

Neither the supplier or manufacturer replied. Do I just take it they are both disreputable companies, or give them a bit longer and see if either gets back to me ?

It's a shame it does not fit as I tried connecting the wires and putting the Heated Rear Window on. The ALKAR Mirror Lens heats up a treat ! As well as, if not even better than, the Genuine Audi Mirror on the passenger door. Just can't get it to stay on the car.

I am not sure that there is much you can do if they don't respond, the low value and the hassle involved in trying to sort out a problem with a supplier in a different country is unlikely to be worth it.

I hate it when sellers just don't seem to care if something is suitable or not, but thankfully it is rare.
I don't normally recommend letting them off the hook so easily, but it will cost you far more than the cost of the mirror.
But sending them a strongly worded email or letter will at least give you the satisfaction that you have told them how you feel.

By the way, apart from the mounting, was the mirror shape OK as I hoped?

Hopefully some people on here that found reasonably priced heated mirrors that did the job can recommend some for you (us).

The ones I found came with the glass separate to the plastic mount and so you had to position them together very carefully, also the electrical connectors were the wrong size too. SO I gave up on a cheaper option and went to an Audi Dealer. Expensive yet, but they are going to fit and last a lifetime.

Better still if A2Steve or Sarge come across some used ones.

Steve B

Sorry. Read your post at work but as I have said before, can't log on to a2oc at work.

Still no reply from the Seller or Manufacturer, despite having emailed both again. Wished I had bought it through eBay. Then realised I paid via PayPal, so opened a PayPal Dispute.

It's not the amount of money ( £18.43 inc postage from Germany at £8 ). It's more the frustration that it does not fit / is defective.

Yes the shape of the replacement Lens is a good fit in the Mirror Housing by the way. No problem with that. Had to take it back out and put the old one back on though. My Velcro attachment adaption did not last long. They came unstuck. I could fasten the new Lens on to the Mechanism without the Housing in place but then you can not get to the Screws to put the Housing back on.

Last edited:
As suspected, Autodoc used the " get out clause " that the Heated Mirror Lens they supplied is only listed for the Right Side of a Left Hand Drive Audi A2. I pointed out that it should fit, as the Mirror Motor to which it should fit is the same Part Number for ALL A2 Mirrors, RHD, LHD, Right Side, Left Side : 8Z0 959 577

I did question in that case why are they selling Parts in the UK that they claim only fit a LHD A2. No response to that one.

Can't recommend them at all :- autodoc.co.uk or autopartspro.co.uk Both seem to be the same company.

Last edited:
>The ones I found came with the glass separate to the plastic mount and so you had to position them together very carefully, also the >electrical connectors were the wrong size too. SO I gave up on a cheaper option and went to an Audi Dealer. Expensive yet, but they >are going to fit and last a lifetime.

Steve B[/QUOTE]

The first ones I bought didn't have the plastic mounting, and the seller didn't respond to my request to send them back - but they were stupidly cheap. The second ones I bought have the plastic mounting that seems fairly robust and does clip on to the internal mechanism o.k. The passenger side one is around 2mm offset and the corner of the mirror glass fouls the housing, so I haven't fitted it properly yet - was thinking about ways to approach this. The driver's one fitted first time, and does indeed heat up very nicely with the rear screen.

After using it twice, I noticed the adhesive tape backing had softened (probably with the heat) so that it wobbles violently while driving and is no longer fully secure. It can be re-secured by pushing the centre - which lasts anywhere from a couple of minutes to the end of the drive, so I'm going to have to find a solution, such as securing it in place with epoxy resin / araldite. At least I know how to loosen off the passenger one to shift the mounting over a bit, mind you.

Do Audi themselves (i.e. Crewe Audi, Stoke Audi) still stock these? My next stage would be to either buy some second hand genuine ones if any are available, or to bite the bullet and buy an official pair of OEM ones if they are still available.

After similar experiences with low cost options I gave up and “bit the bullet”

Audi charge £40 or more for each mirror. But it was super easy to fit them, they are quality and the connectors fit perfectly.

Steve B

I agree with Steve,you can't beat an original part and for the small savings involved yet huge heartache mentioned here it's just not worth trying it. I was somewhat shocked at the price when i ordered mine from Audi but you get what you pay for and don't regret it as they fitted and worked as you'd expect.

Think yourselves lucky guys, the mirror glass for my BMW with auto dimming was £317 ! Just the glass, not the whole mirror.

Beginning to wonder if they are correct about the Mirror Motor plates the Heated Glass / Lens Clips to are RHD and LHD specific. Can anyone confirm or otherwise please ? Wonder if the 4 lugs with round holes in them that stick out of the side of the plates are positioned slightly differently to stop what they say is a LHD Glass / Lens fitting to a RHD, and vice verse of course. Not sure Audi would go to all that trouble ?

Anyway, snipped those lugs off and glued the Alkar Heated Glass / Lens in place. See how it goes. Certainly no problem with the view in the Mirror and the Heater Element works just as well, if not better than, the Genuine Audi one on the Passenger Side.

Back