Wiper Relay

66Beetle

A2OC Donor
A2 Wiper Motor stopped working a few years ago. Auto Electician found a bad Earth and fixed it. Since then the Wipers no longer do an " Instant Wipe " when I move the Intermittant Wipe adjustment. Auto Electrician said I either had a Faulty Wiper Relay, or there was still a bad earth.

What go you think ? Just try another Relay ?

The earth would not cause this, either it is earthed well or not, the wipers will either work foir all functions or none at all (or be totally intermittent. It wouldn't affect just one feature of the wipers.

The wipers only do an "instant wipe if the intermittent position is on and yo decrease the delay by moving the adjustment to the right.

The only other instant wipe is when you pull the wiper down to the one wipe position. (let go and they are off again)

Steve B

I'll look for a Wiper Relay in that case.

The " Instant Wipe " I'm talking about is the one initiated by moving the Intermittant Wipe. Not the Single Wipe.

I'll look for a Wiper Relay in that case.

The " Instant Wipe " I'm talking about is the one initiated by moving the Intermittant Wipe. Not the Single Wipe.
Dies the adjuster work, I.e. Does it vary the delay as it should?
if not then it might be the adjuster switch in arm that is the cause.

But if it does operate as it should then I doubt that the relay would be the cause, because the signal sent to the relay from the adjuster seems to be working as it should.
The wipers will only wipe instantly using the adjuster if you are reducing the wiper delay (I.e. If the wipers are set to the intermittent setting moving the adjuster to the left will not trigger an instant wipe. But moving it to the right will (unless it is already at the "minimum delay" setting.

Sorry if you know all of this but I just want to help avoid unnecessary expense for you. This really doesn't appear to be a relay problem so that would be the last thing to replace. If you have access to a spare one that you could swap from another A2 to check first (things like this are another good reason for people to attend one of our social events, plenty of opportunities to try swaps etc)

Steve B

The Intermittant Switch works correctly in that it does alter the time delay between Intermittant Wipes. It just does not do the instant wipe bit. Missed a trick by not swapping the Wiper Relay from a 2001 Audi A6 when we traded it in. I knew it was the same Part Number as I had tried it on the A2 when the Wipers were not working at all, and it did work correctly when fitted to the A6.

Don't think any of the A2OC events take place around here. I go to Lakeland Historic Car Club meets. Pub Run tonight from Hest Bank to The New Inn at Yealand in the '66 Beetle or '72 Type 3 Variant if the weather holds off !

I do like your taste in cars.

Have you posted any any of the VWs on here? In the car park section perhaps?

Good luck with sorting out the wipers. Luckily enough it is just a minor function you are having troubke with.

Steve B

Sorry but I would not know how to post any photos on here.

I emailed some photos to Sarge some months ago, as he wanted to see my '72 Type 3 Automatic Variant. Think that was only the Variant though. Not the '66 Beetle.

Sorry but I would not know how to post any photos on here.

I emailed some photos to Sarge some months ago, as he wanted to see my '72 Type 3 Automatic Variant. Think that was only the Variant though. Not the '66 Beetle.

i could post them on the relevant section if you want. I am sure that we have plenty of classic VW fans on here. If you want to email me a few I could post a thread in the "Car Park" section. [email protected]

I used to hire variants back when they were new and available as hire cars.
I also bought a peppermint green lightly customised one many years later just because of the fond memories of when I hired them.

Cheers

Steve B

Back