Tyres rubbing? 205/45 17

disting

Hi everyone,
I used to have an a2 and miss it, the missus still has hers after 14 years and we love it, but need some advice please on that vehicle.
It's an a2 sport Tdi 54 reg, with full body kit, and pano roof, sport wheels and suspension set up as per supplied when new. Original springs, suspension since new. Needed 4 new tyres recently, and having read the advice on here about improving the ride (and hopefully stop the continual replacement of tie rod ends and front suspension related niggles too) we plumped for some Landsail LS588 205/45 ZR17 88W -having read all the great reviews about them. Previous tyres were 205 40 17. So a smidgeon taller diameter after the change?
The transformation in ride comfort and road noise is nothing short of miraculous and delighted with the result. However:
With 4 passengers in it the other day (a first since tyres fitted) slowish speeds over bumpy country roads , noticed what I think is tyre rub/squeak even when going in a straight line, probably at the back and front.
This has not been noticed with only 1 person in before (normal) even over bumpy roads.
Any suggestions, advice, things to look for, cheap fix , so we don't get fleeced at the garage.
I've read that there maybe a 'pad' under the springs front and back that could be worn out, but any other things that might raise the ride height a smidgeon without breaking the bank?.
Thanks in advance for pointers everyone.
Andy

Last edited:
they're too big. Each sidewall is now 11mm taller than it was.... a complete 3% larger in circumference. Not sure about the legality of this in the UK as your speedo now probably underreads.

- Bret

Also your bump stops and spring seats are probably knackered if they haven't been replaced. I did ours last weekend at 122k miles, the rears had disintegrated to the extent that one was completely missing.

Thanks for the replies.
Brett. Size difference Noted and thanks very much for that, although weirdly the speedo is actually now reading 100% accurately with the GPS speed whereas before speedo was showing incorrect speed.
Kleynie- cheers I will definitely get those looked at, as I read that they wear out, and can make up to a couple of centimetres lift to the ride height which might just solve it. Any ideas on the costs for bump stops and Spring seats?
Any other ideas anyone? Or anyone had same issue on theirs at all?

Last edited:
I run 215 45 17s and also like the extra comfort with the 45s , i found when i first fitted them that both rear tyres caught the rear wheel arch on heavy bumps, at the front of the rear wheel arch on the lip that tucks under the arch, the lip is about 10 to 15mm wide and needs fetling and a small amount sanded off as just catches the outer edge of the tyre on heavy bumps , mine where trimmed from about the top of the sill, bottom of rear door height upwards, about 3 or 4 inches and about 5mm needs to be removed from the lip to stop any catching of the rear tyres, I also found my speedo about 1mph over actual speed so very close ... very easy to do with rotary flap wheel in a drill which can be purchased for a few pound , remove the wheel and go slowly trimming as the flap disc removes plastic lip very quickly..
rear wheel arch .jpg
ive marked on the photo the area that needs the lip trimming ..
Regards Gary

Last edited:
Brilliant Gary. Thanks a lot for that. Did you have a bodykit fitted also at the time it rubbed? although not sure whether the arch would be different at that rubbing point , with or without the kit .

Last edited:
ive not got a body kit fitted on my A2s and my 17s have been on all my A2s so various suspension set ups from standard to lowered 30mm , my tyres are slightly wider than the ones your using as 215s but ive found its always the same area that the tyres catch when youv the A2s fully loaded or have rear passengers so id say thats where you need to be looking, on my project TDI which is lowered 30mm+ i did have to remove about 10mm from the lip as the car sits lower..

Last edited:
Back