Turning over but no glow plug heating light and no firing - Tdi 90

Foghorn

Chaps, I've got a problem (again) with the Tdi 90 where it refuses to start. I've noticed that the diesel injector heater light does not illuminate (at all) when ignition is turned on which on some VW boards suggests this is a sign the ECU is not getting power and the relay is at fault.

I'm presuming the 'ECU Relay' is under the passenger footwell but can someone point out to me which one it actually is as I can't find a picture/schematic to assist?

Also is there anything else I should be looking at if I'm going town a rabbit hole?

im not sure if there the same on the 75s but its a small square blue relay with 202 on the top for glow plugs , i would also check the 2 big fuses in the underfloor compartment next to the relays , and theres one in the boot hidden on the positive battery terminal , if you pop the black cover off theres a fuse strip which may need cleaning

Thanks chaps as it's cranking OK and everything works I'm suspecting the large fuse on the battery +ve is sound.

I've got an OBD scanner but the software is on an old windows machine that hopefully I can crank up. If I could find the latest software for mac that would be ideal. Hopefully VCDS will assist but I'm thinking the problem will lie somewhere in the passenger footwell :(

Without a scan just throwing ideas to check:

Take cambelt cover off and check belt
Remove pipe at intake manifold and check it can breath and not all sooted up....

Sarge

Done a (limited) scan. I've got the following fault shown:

1314 - Engine Check Module
0314 - Check DTC Memory - Intermittant

Again everything works but no sign of it firing up. Cambelt is fine (replaced a few miles ago)

I've got VCDS Lite it appears. so whilst it will let me doe some basic functions I can't seem to get it to interrorgate deeper before it asks me to 'register' the device?

Don't suppose there is someone South Manchester that could help out with a detailed scan so I can then investigate further as I'd rather have someone who knows these cars.

Last edited:
Back