New to the club, and appreciative of advice already!

RDG

Hi All

I've recently taken ownership of a '53 1.6 Sport. Following the destruction of my previously cherished Golf V GTi by a driver that fell asleep and smashed into me, I wanted a quirky, future classic, iconic car, and this one ticked the boxes. It seems a great little car, looks like it's been well looked after as a second family car and has a near full Audi SH.

However...it's developed some issues. When using the climate control the temperature seems to offer two settings - Neptune or surface of the Sun. Additionally, more worryingly and perhaps linked, it's developed a coolant loss. I've done approx 450 miles - a long journey bringing it from Suffolk to Leics, and then A road commuting. The coolant seems to settle at about 2cm below the min level in the reservoir. On other forums there's some suggestion that by using wired in ancillaries as I've done (Dashcam following my unsettling smash), could 'fry' the electrics. Coincidence? I must check what fuses I've piggybacked. I've checked the filler cap, and there's no evidence of 'mayonnaise' underneath.. Grateful for advice. :D

media.jpeg

Can't really help with your problems as we've only had our little A2 for a month, but all I will say is that there is so much help here that it's worthy of a contribution to help with the costs. Good luck with it.

Welcome RDG - nice to see another Leics member (I'm just down the road in Syston). I had almost exactly the same problem with mine when I purchased it from Bournemouth in the midst of winter. Unfortunately my aircon only seemed to have the "Neptune" setting, so I had to stop and buy some gloves on the way back. It is usually because of a flap that sticks (usually due to lack of use), and frequently the cure is simply to keep it moving by putting it to LO for a few minutes, then putting to HI for a few minutes and switching back and forth should release it. If not, a new flap isn't terribly expensive.

The coolant issue is another common issue with a stuck temperature valve. Again, it's not too expensive to fix.

I doubt it's a "fry the electrics" issue, as this would more likely cause more serious issues.

Glad you're enjoying your A2, I came to ownership in similar circumstances after some dozey part rammed my stationary A5 on a cold, wet January evening.

FSI may well have brittle plastics in the cooling system, so hairline cracks are eminently possible.

The air con problem is best understood with the aid of a scan, as that will tell you which flap has what problems.

- Bret

Thanks all - I'm appreciative of the advice, and the rapid replies. The temp I can live with, but I'm concerned about the coolant - the same's happened today and lifting the bonnet showed a hot steamy engine. The coolant jetted out when I loosened the cap (but I guess that might be usual; I've never needed to do that before on any other car).

Clearly we're focussed on the weekend rather than working at 110%! I'll book it into my usual garage and get their diagnosis. Please keep the advice coming!

Welcome to the club! You'll most likely find all the answers you need here (about the A2 of course!).

Yat

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

.......I'll book it into my usual garage and get their diagnosis. Please keep the advice coming!

Yes, but will they charge for a scan? Also you might find that your local garage has not that much expertise with the FSI, be wary. Surely other Leicester area members might have recommendations or even give you a free VCDS scan.

Andy

Welcome to the forum and that's a lovely looking A2 you've got there.I'm still learning about the cars but there's lot's of people on here who should be able to help you. All the best with it.

attachment.php

Yes, but will they charge for a scan? Also you might find that your local garage has not that much expertise with the FSI, be wary. Surely other Leicester area members might have recommendations or even give you a free VCDS scan.

Andy

I can probably do a scan for you, although my knowledge of actually interpreting these scans is rather limited I'm afraid. As I said above, I'm only about 10 miles down the road from you.

Hi Andy,
That's very kind thanks. I'm going to take it over to the garage at Stathern - they're good. However, if that brings up inconclusive results, perhaps I can link up. My Golf was occasionally in there and hooked up to their diagnostic tools! I and a more technically minded guy have had a look at the engine. We may have found something. There's a rubber pipe secured with a spring clip approx. 15cm to the left of the coolant reservoir. Immediately behind it is a metal pipe. (Sorry, vague description) At the edge of the rubber hose where it meets the metal, I noticed some yellowish residue, and that was the area this morning that seemed to have smoke/steam there. Thanks again, and I'll update when I know.
Regards,
Ross

Hi Ross,

It was Sciroccorrado who offered the scan not me?? - don't want to take false credit.

As to your pipes, I have had a look and there are so many pipes in that area
I have no idea which you are trying to identify - sorry.

If you want further opinion I suggest you take a photo, drop it into Paint or similiar and add
one of its predefined arrow symbols to identify and post it here. (Mind you it took me a few minutes
to master how to add the arrows!) [I think the infamous Y joint is round there but it could be anything]

Andy

Oops. Finger trouble. Sorry Sciroccorado.. Yes, I thought about the IT arrow, as my description was basic. Unfortunately I was working and being paid not to sort my car!

Back