New to the forum and have a few questions !

Tomspud

Hi all,
Thanks for allowing me to join the group, I bought an 2001 A2 a couple of weeks ago a TDI SE 1.4 and I really like it. I've searched the forum and found it an invaluable source of information.
I followed the tip about EGR valve and mounting it on a cut down water hose and that is working well and there is now no mooing noise. I was very pleased with myself !

A couple of questions:

The anti roll bar drop link rods were replaced at the MOT just before I bought the car but I noticed the front end was knocking quite badly on the passenger side at the weekend. Having read the forum I checked the anti roll bar and it appears to have slipped - on the passenger side it looks like it is right against the car and it appears to be wearing away. I am assuming the mechanic wouldn't have left it like that and so it has moved in the 2 weeks I've owned it. It looks like the previous owner fitted power flex bushes and there appears to be quite a bit of corrosion on the bar itself. So I am looking for advice about the best thing to do. Is it possible to pull or push the bar back into the correct position and then from what I have read fit polo bushes to keep it in place, I have the A2 car jack and also a trolley jack but thats it - Is that enough to move the anti roll bar across. I imagine id have to undo the bush on one side, put the wheel back on and then repeat on the other side, move the bar into position (if it will move?) and then fit the new bushes. Does that sound logical or do I need more tools? if its that simple I'll have a go. Does anyone know where I can get the Polo bushes from?

The other option is replace the roll bar with the new type. I spoke to Preston Audi and they have quoted £350 for the bar and fitting or £135 just for the roll bar. I saw on eBay a couple of second hand roll bars for around £50. Would you advise going secondhand and can anyone point in the correct direction to find the part number for the updated version?

Also can anyone recommend a garage near Chorley that is good with A2s that will be able to fit it?

Bluetooth adapter - the Symphony 2 stereo has the in built 6 cd changer and also a slot in the boot for a further changer. I bought and fitted an Adapter Universe bluetooth adapter (it comes with a blue plug which fits into the end of the cd changer slot). According to the instructions I fitted the earth cable to a screw on the back on the stereo. the stereo recognises the adapter is fitted in so far as when I press the cd button twice it goes into multi changer mode. The blue adapter powers up and my iPhone sees it but it won't connect - there are several bleeps but thats about it and the phone looses connection. When the car is running there is a lot of noise through the stereo - the pitch alters with the throttle.
The bluetooth adapter gets very hot and I wondered I've missed a trick or whether anyone else could recommend an affordable blue tooth or aux adapter kit that works with my set up?

Sorry for the long questions !
Cheers Tom

Hi all,
Thanks for allowing me to join the group, I bought an 2001 A2 a couple of weeks ago a TDI SE 1.4 and I really like it. I've searched the forum and found it an invaluable source of information.
I followed the tip about EGR valve and mounting it on a cut down water hose and that is working well and there is now no mooing noise. I was very pleased with myself !

A couple of questions:

The anti roll bar drop link rods were replaced at the MOT just before I bought the car but I noticed the front end was knocking quite badly on the passenger side at the weekend. Having read the forum I checked the anti roll bar and it appears to have slipped - on the passenger side it looks like it is right against the car and it appears to be wearing away. I am assuming the mechanic wouldn't have left it like that and so it has moved in the 2 weeks I've owned it. It looks like the previous owner fitted power flex bushes and there appears to be quite a bit of corrosion on the bar itself. So I am looking for advice about the best thing to do. Is it possible to pull or push the bar back into the correct position and then from what I have read fit polo bushes to keep it in place, I have the A2 car jack and also a trolley jack but thats it - Is that enough to move the anti roll bar across. I imagine id have to undo the bush on one side, put the wheel back on and then repeat on the other side, move the bar into position (if it will move?) and then fit the new bushes. Does that sound logical or do I need more tools? if its that simple I'll have a go. Does anyone know where I can get the Polo bushes from?

The other option is replace the roll bar with the new type. I spoke to Preston Audi and they have quoted £350 for the bar and fitting or £135 just for the roll bar. I saw on eBay a couple of second hand roll bars for around £50. Would you advise going secondhand and can anyone point in the correct direction to find the part number for the updated version?

Also can anyone recommend a garage near Chorley that is good with A2s that will be able to fit it?

Hi Tom,

The problem you describe with the anti-roll bar is common. Audi realised their mistake at some point during 2002 and started to make the anti-roll bar with a couple of metal flanges to stop the problem of lateral movement.

The easiest solution to the problem is to remove the existing bushes, position the bar in its correct position and then fix it in place with Polo bushes. The Polo bushes have a much tighter grip on the bar and thus resist lateral movement. It's not quite as elegant as having a bar with the flanges, but it works and it's very cost effective. Polo bushes are available from your local VW dealer. The closest ones to you are in Preston and Bolton. You also need four replacement bolts, as the bolts that hold the bushes/bracket in place are single-use (Part No. WHT 005 480. Tighten to 20Nm + 90 degrees once the car is back on its wheels).

If you choose to replace your anti-roll bar with one of the later design (with the flanges), then you should just use regular A2 bushes. To replace the ARB, however, you need to drop the sub-frame, meaning it's a much bigger job and correspondingly more expensive.

I'm just up the M6, in Lancaster, and my girlfriend lives just 'round the corner from you, in Leyland. I'm told I know a thing or two about the A2, so if you'd like my opinion/help, it's not far away. I also have a new-style anti-roll bar with the flanges that I'd be happy to sell to you. I'll beat whatever they cost on eBay.

Bluetooth adapter - the Symphony 2 stereo has the in built 6 cd changer and also a slot in the boot for a further changer. I bought and fitted an Adapter Universe bluetooth adapter (it comes with a blue plug which fits into the end of the cd changer slot). According to the instructions I fitted the earth cable to a screw on the back on the stereo. the stereo recognises the adapter is fitted in so far as when I press the cd button twice it goes into multi changer mode. The blue adapter powers up and my iPhone sees it but it won't connect - there are several bleeps but thats about it and the phone looses connection. When the car is running there is a lot of noise through the stereo - the pitch alters with the throttle.
The bluetooth adapter gets very hot and I wondered I've missed a trick or whether anyone else could recommend an affordable blue tooth or aux adapter kit that works with my set up?

I think this probably boils down to build quality. It sounds as though you've connected everything correctly. If the unit powers up and creates audio through the car's speakers, then the hardware side of things is all good. I've frequently found that cheap auxiliary adapters pick up alternator noise, creating a whine that changes in frequency when rev'ing the engine.
If you can afford an XCarLink unit, they're my recommended Bluetooth interface.

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited:
I agree with timmus regarding the polo anti role bar bushes. I also fit a worm drive clamp around the outer side of the ARB next to the bush. I do this on both sides. The worm drive clamp acts as an end stop for the ARB just like the newer flanged ARB
I am in st annes so not far away from you happy to fit the bushes for you and do my mod to the ARB. I have a reasonably well equipped garage so the total job is under an hour
I did the same thing to my tdi and have had zero issues since
You may also want the look at the drop links as I bought some cheap crap of eBay and they did not last a week before they were knocking I now only use the meyle HD ones they are a much larger knuckle and simply last the distance
Cheers

Tom,
Thank you for the advice it is really helpful. I am going to try the polo bushes suggestion as a starting point and see if that works. Looking online there appear to be several sizes available reading previous threads I assuming I need to go for the 16mm version? If so ill order along with the bolts and i'll try this at the weekend and see how it goes. If that works then I should be able to afford the xCarLink unit. The car is a bit rough round the edges and planning to make a number of improvements so when you are visiting Leyland and have time I would welcome you casting your experienced eye over the car and maybe a test drive to give me your opinion - we are Whittle-le-Woods so just round the corner and could come and meet you. Thanks Tom

Hi Paul,
Thanks for the offer of assistance and the advice about the clamps. I am going to try this at the weekend and if I get no where with it I'll be in touch! I think you are right they are cheap eBay drop links so they may not last very long at all. Ill try the roll bar first as it is definitely not right and see how I get on. I am hoping the car will be a long term keeper as I ve always liked the design and although it is a bit rough round the edges I think there is lots of potential. Cheers Tom

Back