Advice please 75 or 90 TDI

damadgeruk

A2OC Donor
I'm in the market for another A2 (wife has an 03 FSI). Thoughts on 75 vs 90 TDI appreciated. I gather the 90 has DMF, do either (or both)have DPF? I do 10k pa though much prefer diesel torque (and economy) though will likely use it for towing (900Kg folding camper) occasionally for short runs.
TIA, David

Last edited:
90 has a VTG turbo, different gearing, DMF. Neither have a DPF per default. 75 may be Euro IV, later ones are, all 90s have Euro IV.

90s are more expensive (unsurprisingly); 75s are more reliable (simpler). I'd buy on condition for budget...

- Bret

I had a 75 first and it was great.
I now have a 90 and its very different. The extra power is very noticeable and it's a bit "growlier"
I learned the hard way about the DMF. When I sold my 51 plate tdi 75 it had 145,000 miles on the clock with the original clutch. After a year of owning my 90 I had to replace the DMF and clutch at only 70,000!
Still the 90 is more fun to drive!
Agree with the comment about condition and service history being the most important.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had a 75 first and it was great.
I now have a 90 and its very different. The extra power is very noticeable and it's a bit "growlier"
I learned the hard way about the DMF. When I sold my 51 plate tdi 75 it had 145,000 miles on the clock with the original clutch. After a year of owning my 90 I had to replace the DMF and clutch at only 70,000!
Still the 90 is more fun to drive!
Agree with the comment about condition and service history being the most important.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have just bought a TDI 90 to go alongside my 1.4 petrol. The TDI is a beast on the motorways but I have to say I do prefer the petrol for jump in around time driving (seems a lot lighter, much nicer working up and down the gears). Not driven the TDI 75 but believe these can be well tuned to give even a tuned 90 a run for its money. Don't think you can go wrong with any of the models although I think the 1.4 petrol's simplicity and fun is underrated IMO

Could not agree more a well running 1.4 is great around town but I do love the grunt of a chipped tdi it is great on overtakes and motorway trips and the economy is simply astoundingly plus the £30 a year tax

Could not agree more a well running 1.4 is great around town but I do love the grunt of a chipped tdi it is great on overtakes and motorway trips and the economy is simply astoundingly plus the £30 a year tax

yea i couldnt agree more just check how the clutch and gearbox before trying zs a new one is 200 plus 200-250 labour

Back