Water dripping

Pig boy

Hi after a bit of help, just noticed a drip underneath the car when was at the petrol station. Got home and looked under the car and a slow dripping around the bottom of the exhaust whilst the car facing down my drive. Turned car around now facing up my drive no drip . Had a look in reservoir doesn't seem low level. engine was correct temp and had just been driving high revs to give it a bit of a clear out...any help many thanks

Could be condensate from the air con/climate which is normal, but only if it was on. Best to get it on a ramp for a proper look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is very common for water to be seen coming out of the exhaust. This is especially on yhethe colder mornings.

So if you mean that it is coming from there then I wouldn’t worry.
If it is coming from other sources then that is different. But just look at the exhausts from even new cars on cold mornings and you will see lots of steam and many splashes and drips of water from their exhaust pipes.
If you are only using the car for short journeys that condensation can build up (because the water in the exhaust has not been fully blown out as steam so that could explain why yours is dripping when switched off.

Turnibg the car around just makes the water tolt away away from the end of the exhaust pipe.

Steve B

Water is not coming out of the exhaust around the area where the pipe bends from the engine bay to the back of the car between front wheels
I was talking about it dripping out of the end of the exhaust pipe at the back under the car.
If you are talking about water dripping from the area at the rear of the engine then it MIGHT be from the air con drip tube which would be perfectly normal.
Thr problem is that a coolant leak from one of the pipes on the engine would tend to come from that area too. Also that would stop if you turned the car around because the water will have been collecting on the indertray and running off the back. Turning the car around might then stop it running off.

Can you please indicate roughly were you are seeing this water.

Thanks
Steve B

With the car facing downhill it looks like it's coming from the rear of the metal under tray near the exhaust

have a look in your battery area and see if you have a “swimming pool” in there.
That is another common isssue if there is a pool of water in there.

Steve B

have a look in your battery area and see if you have a “swimming pool” in there.
That is another common isssue if there is a pool of water in there.

Steve B
Hi Steve,

I've found a swimming pool in my battery compartment. The rear seats were wet, the false boot was wet and mould/damp was on the battery compartment lid. Any suggestions sir?

Hi Steve,

I've found a swimming pool in my battery compartment. The rear seats were wet, the false boot was wet and mould/damp was on the battery compartment lid. Any suggestions sir?
That is almost certainly due to broken seals behind the rear bumper. Have you had a rear end parking accident etc. But it is worth removing the bumper and checking them. Use new ones if you can because sometimes sealing them is not a perfect solution and you don’t want to have to remove the bumper more than once.

Steve B

I've not since i have had the car, not sure about the previous owner but it doesn't look like it from what I can tell.

If it is the seals, who/where would be best to get them? Luckily it's parked undercover so it's not going to get any worse and I can add this to the list of things to do over the next few weeks.

Cheers!

I've not since i have had the car, not sure about the previous owner but it doesn't look like it from what I can tell.

If it is the seals, who/where would be best to get them? Luckily it's parked undercover so it's not going to get any worse and I can add this to the list of things to do over the next few weeks.

Cheers!

An Audi Dealer should stock them. The part number is 4A0-819-181-A (but check if that is for one or two (I think one))

Try clicking on this link #1 it might take you to the thread I created that covers this subject.

Steve B

Back