Information Seat belts slow to retract?

Birchall

Dick Chown Award 2016
This is a very common problem on A2s but PLEASE don’t just live with it.
It is actually quite dangerous.

In an accident, if there is any excess slack in the belt you will be in danger of it not working correctly.
Granted there are pretentioners that should go off but your body can move quite a distance in milliseconds.

i am not trying to scare anyone here but please do try to get them retracting properly.

One thing to try is to pull the the belt out as far as it will go then let go. Repeat this several times and it will help.

A light spraying of furniture polish onto the belt should make a big difference too (don’t just use anything because some will have chemicals that might interfere with the strength of the webbing)
A normal wood furniture polish should be fine.

If that does not resolve it then please replace the belt for one that does retract as it should.
You can remove the trim and check for anything that is rubbing on the belt and slowing it down but the chances are that there won’t be anything there that is causing it.

Please do check yours and at the very least work it fully several times and apply a bit of furniture polish to the webbing.

Steve B

Last edited:
Mine does this occasionally and when it does the belt usually feels cold/damp, so maybe it just needs to be fully extended for a short while to dry properly?

My passengers side belt is doing this. Will try the furniture polish strategy. Are the belts difficult to replace if needed?

Just sorted out my slow to retract seatbelts. In my case, the problem was a build up of dirt on the top mount where the belt slides through.
A good clean with a damp cloth, dried off, and the belts are back in normal operation. Probably worth a look if your seatbelts are slow to retract.

Last edited:
Back