Whistling fuel pump.

simufly

A2OC Donor
United-Kingdom
Drove the lad's (my old) TDi 75 today 172k and counting
What a tip but that's another matter!
Anyway whilst driving along I noticed a white /whistling noise from underneath. Probably the fuel pump. Is this common on high mileage Tdis?
Is a total failure likely or will it just go on?
Thanks for any input.
Simon

I never heard any noise from the fuel pumps on my 2001 TDIs one has 325000 km, the other 306000 and raising daily..
Hope it helps.

Regards,
Boris

Hi
There is no fuel pump to my knowledge on the tdi's under the car. Only the filter in front of the n/s rear wheel. The only pump is the tandem pump bolted to the engine.
I had that noise from the filter area when bought from audi at 22k miles. They tried to eliminate it by changing some pipe and the tandem pump.- but the noise remained-
a bit of a squeaky noise that comes and goes sometimes with a change of throttle /going to idle. Car on 217 k miles now and I think its still doing it though not certain as it
may not do it for weeks and I changed my pump a couple of weeks ago. (had fuel starvation hiccups) Bought the Bosch pump (only £200 from Germany) and now have
better vacuum to boot (brakes) and no oil leak too :) ATL engine throttle valve (ASV) however does not fit without taking connector and cover off :( -not worked anyway funnily
enough at 22k (shuddered at switch off) but then no eml light.
Hope I did not get too carried away. .
Oko

Back