Tailgate closed but showing as constantly open on the dash

Mbzpar

Not seen this discussed on the forum before. Have a small problem on my TDI 90 in that despite being closed the tailgate is constantly flashing as being open on the dashboard when driving and the boot light is remaining on.

Have had a good look and clean up around the lock (all good). All seems well aligned with the catch and the white solenoid works perfectly well so assuming I have a micro-switch issue within the tailgate lock mechanism itself? I have purchased a replacement lock which I hope to fit over the weekend. Do you think this will solve the problem or could something else be amiss causing the fault?

Kindest regards

Paul

Probably more the micro switch always the same on vag stuff, think u can just change the switch but prob easier change whole lot

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Fitted the replacement lock and was delighted to see 'OK' and the temperature reading to reappear on the dashboard and for the flashing red light to reappear on the drivers door when the vehicle is locked. All back to how it should be; or so I thought! Sadly, this joy lasted a day before my troubles returned. First the boot would not physically lock shut over 10 attempts...just hung loose. When it decided to lock and open as usual again, upon the starting the vehicle since I am getting the boot open message continuously once more on the dashboard! Aaaarrrrrrhhhh!

Not sure which way to go in resolving this now:-
Should I purchase a new lock and try again?
Should I try and pull the lock apart and fit a new microswitch (seems a challenging thing to do and do not know where the microswitch is located)?
Investigate if the wiring and connections to the lock are causing the problem (all seem in good condition and solidly connected)?
Or should I change a fuse?

Car is working fine, but it is annoying to see this message when driving.

Any help gratefulluy received.

Kindest regards

Paul

I have a complete spare lock assembly (genuine audi) if you want to borrow it to try and see if it cures your problem.
If it does, for £15 it's yours, if it doesn't, let me have it back.
I'm not a million miles from you if Royston is the correct location as mentioned in your A2OC header, as I'm in Kensington, so we could arrange to meet halfway?

Cheers
Ian

Thanks for the offer Ian. Before buying a new lock just keen to learn if anyone else has had a similar problem. For all I know at present their may be an underlying issue that would kill any new lock I fitted.

Paul

Are you sure that the other part of the catch is in the correct position? These are usually adjustable and if in the wrong position, the micro-switch will not show locked.

RAB

Are you sure that the other part of the catch is in the correct position? These are usually adjustable and if in the wrong position, the micro-switch will not show locked.

RAB

Thanks Rab. Lock seems to be fitted perfectly, it is hooked into the white solenoid that fires the catch open when the tailgate release button is pressed. The tailgate currently closes well (catch locks around black hook in boot above bumper) and unlocks when the release button is pressed...its just that the car thinks the boot is still open when its closed for some reason. As the lock mechanism to fixed onto two bolts in the tailgate and this locks into the black hook on top of the rear bumper I cannot see what flexibility there is to adjust the locks position if that makes sense. What might I be doing wrong here Rab? How can I adjust things to give the microswitch a better chance of noting when the boot is open and closed?

You can test the micro-switch by opening the hatch and pushing the catch to the first position and then the second. With the door open, but the lock in the locked position, the micro-switch should also indicate locked (or rather not indicate open), even though the hatch is open - I have just tested this on my A2. Then unlock the catch with the remote. If all is well, it is probably the black hook in the wrong position. I cannot see (without removing the trim) how the hook is attached but if it is anything like a Lupo, it will be bolted to the frame by two screws. You may need a splined bit to adjust - this is very much trial and error, mostly the latter! First step is to remove the trim. Can't find anything on Elsawin.

RAB

Thanks Rab, will try that. Think I can get to the black hook if required by removing the rear trim panel in the boot (3 torx I believe)

Just found on Elsawin that the plate with the hook is indeed held in place by two screws.

RAB

Thanks for the offer Ian. Before buying a new lock just keen to learn if anyone else has had a similar problem. For all I know at present their may be an underlying issue that would kill any new lock I fitted.

Paul

Well, the offer stands if you decide to go for another lock mechanism.

Cheers
Ian

Hi

I fitted a mercury switch shoved into the terminals on the lock connector, you can adjust the switch angle to turn the light off / on at just about any angle in the tailgate opening range once angled, my preference wuz tae see the light go oot when at just a futt or so on the way doon .

You now know the interior light has fur sure extinguished and yer battery huznae gon flat when you try to start it the next afternoon when you get oot yer bed, another plus being if the lock disnae lock the light will still extinguish and enable you to set your alarm with no false alarm associated to that lock / micro switch.

All fur the princely sum of 1p bellow a Bank of Scotland Quid. Not sure if VAG will implement this new feature into there range as they have one or two other pressing issues at the mo.

New Glass Electric Mercury Tilt Switch 0.8A/20V 103# 99p postage is for any QTY

Fitted over 2years ago a nae Probs.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/261909...0-0/s-l140.jpg

Hi

I fitted a mercury switch shoved into the terminals on the lock connector, you can adjust the switch angle to turn the light off / on at just about any angle in the tailgate opening range once angled, my preference wuz tae see the light go oot when at just a futt or so on the way doon .

You now know the interior light has fur sure extinguished and yer battery huznae gon flat when you try to start it the next afternoon when you get oot yer bed, another plus being if the lock disnae lock the light will still extinguish and enable you to set your alarm with no false alarm associated to that lock / micro switch.

All fur the princely sum of 1p bellow a Bank of Scotland Quid. Not sure if VAG will implement this new feature into there range as they have one or two other pressing issues at the mo.

Fitted over 2years ago a nae Probs.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/261909...0-0/s-l140.jpg

Hi ET.

Have you fitted this to all your 4 A2s?

Does the alarm set properly with the mod?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Pinky

Fitted to 6 X A2s and whilst Intercoolers , clutches , OSS, Timing Belts , Engines and all Electro /Mechanical as well as Ronnie Barker Hoses or Os rings can fail. I believe this to be the Ultimate Upgrade to the Iconic A2. Lol

You seem pretty handy and are local to me - I’m going to bear this in mind... I’ve been in BarL many times so I’m familiar with the area.

You must be in Blackhill then, I was at a Residents / Tenents Meeting last week not unlike the Kensington & Chelski one that they Huv.
Ra Polis wur there and said 9 cars wur stolin in the area and then qualified his statement that they were all stolin fray the Bar/L visitors car park.

I’m in Garrowhill but I’ve been to the Prison a few times. I always thought cars should be safe in a prison car park but I guess sometimes recent libs need a way to get home.

You can test the micro-switch by opening the hatch and pushing the catch to the first position and then the second. With the door open, but the lock in the locked position, the micro-switch should also indicate locked (or rather not indicate open), even though the hatch is open - I have just tested this on my A2. Then unlock the catch with the remote. If all is well, it is probably the black hook in the wrong position. I cannot see (without removing the trim) how the hook is attached but if it is anything like a Lupo, it will be bolted to the frame by two screws. You may need a splined bit to adjust - this is very much trial and error, mostly the latter! First step is to remove the trim. Can't find anything on Elsawin.

RAB

Still being thwarted by this. Followed the excellent advice of Rab above. When I open the hatch and push the catch to the first position and then the second then start the engine the annoying boot open light still appears on the dashboard. So I guess the black hook is not at fault here. Any ideas folks? How easy is it to change a microswitch in the tailgate or is it a case of buying a third tailgate lock and hoping for the best again?

Kindest regards

Paul

Back