I'm in the usa and want a second key. Dealers here can't access the car to program

Is there an alternative way to get and program a key remotely in the usa? I have a dealer here that has attempted but no luck. I know some models have hidden ways to do and access different features. Was hoping this is one of them. I hate to lose my key and lose the car too.

Hi Andy,

I'm assuming that you'd like your second key to be able to unlock the car and start the engine. That being the case, I can think of a few options...

1) I'd be more than happy to sit on a flight to the USA. With my laptop and other tools, the world is your oyster. I could add cruise control or a variety of other things you might be missing.
2) If you're able to send your existing key, the instrument cluster, the central convenience unit and the engine management unit to the UK, then I can add a second key and post it all back to you. Your car would be stranded during this time.
3) I can create an engine management unit with the immobiliser disabled, which I could then post to you. Once you've fitted it to the car, all that's needed is to have a second key cut. As long as the blade rotates in the ignition barrel, it'll start the car. No computerised programming would be necessary.

The downside of the third option is that the second key would not work remotely; you'd have to insert the blade in the driver's door to gain access. It would very much be an emergency thing, used to get you out of trouble if you lost your primary key.

Let me know your thoughts. There's no one simple solution, but I'm happy to help.

Cheers,

Tom

Possible key options.

The 3rd option sounds like the best option. I can build an aftermarket remote if I feel entry becomes an issue.

I had a 4th idea...
I had even thought about mounting the original key under the column to get more keys. I was not sure how far away I could have the key and still have it work til I get another key cut.

It seems the the safest to keep me moving and hopefully
Avoid future issues. It's terrifying to think I can lose a key and lose a car too.

Is there an alternative way to get and program a key remotely in the usa? I have a dealer here that has attempted but no luck. I know some models have hidden ways to do and access different features. Was hoping this is one of them. I hate to lose my key and lose the car too.

Which engine and what age is your A2 please?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Andy,

I'm assuming that you'd like your second key to be able to unlock the car and start the engine. That being the case, I can think of a few options...

1) I'd be more than happy to sit on a flight to the USA. With my laptop and other tools, the world is your oyster. I could add cruise control or a variety of other things you might be missing.

Let me know your thoughts. There's no one simple solution, but I'm happy to help.

Cheers,

Tom

The quest for the ultimate spec A2 in the US ... :)

Thats very cool..! Not that you are missing a key, but that fact that there are A2's in the States.. I didn't think they were ever sold in the US.. :)

The 3rd option sounds like the best option. I can build an aftermarket remote if I feel entry becomes an issue.

Ok, if you were to be sent a second ECU with the immobiliser disabled, you could have a second key cut and simply put both items in the drawer of your desk. The beauty of keeping your existing ECU in the car is that it has the immobiliser enabled, which is a bonus from a security perspective.
If you were to lose your primary key, you could go to your desk drawer, open the driver's door with your second key and then put fit the secondary ECU, allowing you to start the car.

I really don't see the need to fit an aftermarket remote kit. There are loads of people in the USA with VCDS, who can be found either through the TDI Club or through the Ross Tech forums. Although VCDS is not able to do immobiliser work and such, it is able to programme a second remote fob.

Cheers,

Tom

I'm looking at purchasing a vcd from ebay or maybe biting the bullet and purchase one from Ross tech.
Than I can do my key here. And ideas have the opportunity to do mods.
Looking for the downside to ebays China version for $30 to $100.

I'm looking at purchasing a vcd from ebay or maybe biting the bullet and purchase one from Ross tech.
Than I can do my key here. And ideas have the opportunity to do mods.
Looking for the downside to ebays China version for $30 to $100.

Having VCDS would definitely help you, though it cannot add a second key to start the car unless you have a method of retreiving the SKC (Login PIN). On its own, VCDS is only able to add a second key to lock/unlock the doors.

Cheers,

Tom

How much for the second ecu with the immobilizer disabled? Shipping to Elgin tx 78621.

I paid £40 for the last TDI ecu that I bought I then remapped it to just over 100 BHP and removed the immobiliser
Assuming the same cost for the ecu then £75 plus shipping costs
Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back