Second go at falling in love!

Deftly

Sorry for the melodramatic title! I joined awhile ago and decided to "use to death" rather than "repair to perfect" method of ownership. After realizing the A2 is one of the best cars for no apparent reason at all, i now would like to fix her up! The car woes i have had over the past few years (low income) have had me traipsing around other owners clubs, and bar far the best bunch are you lot! proper camaraderie spirit going on for A2 love :)
I hope this second attempt, will get her back up to semi proud standards!

I have a 84,000miles, Aua 1.4 standard Met. Crystal blue with SE alloys as far as i can see. Blue seats, black floor, black dash, grey roof interior. Rest of the spec probably doesn't matter? but i have codes :)

issues currently :-
- CCCU - when in, constant alarm and hazards, when out locked boot, no int, lights, elec windows, remote entry.
- Petrol flap , solenoid gone probably, can't check as CCCU gave up before i could... also don't know if i tried while door was open funnily enough?! switch falls out.
- Throttle body - i think i need a good clean, as error codes are all over the place, just cleared them all and waiting for mate to show up again to re-scan, jerking accel.
- Cosmetically she's scratched up outside and IN! The previous owner was a tradesman, had all sorts of nuts an bolt fixtures in the boot's little cubby holes next to jacks, in the CCCU service flap all the way around the floor to about 5mm is plaster!! wet plaster has set in any crevice! LOL hoping the customs don't think I'm a smuggler! I would like a new set of front cup holders and ashtray that stays in...
Specifically to save time, let me tell you how far i have got with Lau regards repairing CCCU; got a address somewhere in Germany, to send item, but i don't have Paypal so wondering how else i could pay, or if it is better actually to get a different unit and matching key, or pair this key (held together by bluetac after non successful battery replacement test for when CCCU started failing with remote functions...)

Questions:
As for main reason, i'm short on funds, Sarge has done so many helpful guides, and Timmus has offered to do keys if i get new ebay CCCU,
- CCCU (8z0 959 433 Q) does anyone have general idea what to change? just the capacitors in the unit? which is simples.... or Lau.
-is there a part number for the recommended gator ring to change on throttle body cleaning (Sarges guide)? I have a one time 50% off at eurocarparts :) what sites does everyone else use? what shall i get? ( whole suspension upgrade?) strut bearings and bump stops? i heard someone say is a must at 80k? ( obviously filters, oil, polo pollen filter upgrade (smell) part number? ) drop links? coil pack? does AUA have these? lambada sensor? don't know why just felt i might need one?? im weird.

- I acquired some 18" 8j Scirocco interlagos , winter tyres 235/40... they are 5 x 112 will i be able to use spacer converters to transplant???

do you think places like Halfords (£250) would compare in quality when full servicing, compared to Audi (£350) or A2 cars (£???) will they know the quirks of the A2 and check them i.e don't mix coolant types etc, what about Audi recommended sparks plugs for temperamental engines? , or not big difference? or dangers?

thanks a lot everyone! have a great weekend!! now to spend the weekend checking the three brake warning lights i got after i hit.... ( a large pothole! ) sarges photos are good but my eyes aren't, so cant find sensor switch thingy behind wheel! probably loose.... but then again... bearing or breaks started squeaking soon after.... fingers crossed my next post isn't asking about the going rate for aluminium scrap at good metal yard!
Much love X
Deft.
P.s- sorry auto spell is states, so annoying! on top of my grammar!

Managed to book a free health check from audi yeay! bring on tuesday.

Last edited:
Hi Deft

Thats a lot of questions :) but we like questions.

I'll answer about the wheels. The maximum width you can fit on an a2 is 8.5 inch wide but that very much depends on the offset.

You can fit 5x112 with 5x100 adapters but they would have to be half an inch wide or leas for this to work. The offset in total needa to be et35 so you will need to compensate for the size of the spacer reducing the 'poke' of the alloys. If the alloys you have are around an et52-55 then with the spacer this will bring the number down to the required et35 ish but it all depends on the wheels current et number stamped on the inside.

In terms of the interior damage you would be better off just ripping the whole lot out and starting again. Your location says Ely, is that Ely in Cardiff because if it is then I'm only 20 minutes from you which could work out well for you.

Oh and ps, the tyres will have to be changed to 215/35/18 to fit inside the arch and you're looking at about £180 for the set.

Hope this helps.

18x8 ET41 5x112 alloys, any idea of the max thickness of the converter Steve? or are these rims too wide? thanks for replying! i live in Cambridgeshire > Ely. Not bothered that much about interior, just the useful stuff.. drink and smoke :)

...Timmus has offered to do keys if i get new ebay CCCU,
- CCCU (8z0 959 433 Q) does anyone have general idea what to change? just the capacitors in the unit? which is simples.... or Lau.

Hi Deftly,

A DIY CCCU repair is as good as impossible unless you have access to industrial equipment. There's a lot more to it than just changing a few capacitors.
I offer a variety of solutions to the common CCCU issue. If you'd like me to do a complete replacement next time I'm in the Ely area, I'm more than happy do. Alternatively, buy the replacement parts and I can do the coding, etc.

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited:
18x8 ET41 5x112 alloys, any idea of the max thickness of the converter Steve? or are these rims too wide? thanks for replying! i live in Cambridgeshire > Ely. Not bothered that much about interior, just the useful stuff.. drink and smoke :)

18.7mm. If its going to be any wider than that they will poke out from the wheel arch. Ok if you don't plan to lower the car.

i understand the AF ending module is better reliability than the others and also a replacement Q module?

i understand the AF ending module is better reliability than the others and also a replacement Q module?

The AF unit can be used as a replacement for the Q unit as far as the car is concerned, but you'll require different keys. Your current keys are compatible with the Q unit but not the AF unit.

Got your PM, by the way. A reply is in the post, so to speak. :)

Cheers,

Tom

Back