Need help! My A2 develop really annoying vibration on acceleration.

Hello mates. Can some one help me.
My lovely A2 develop really annoying vibration only under acceleration no matter what speed i'm doing i'm really feeling that vibration in the steering wheel.
The vibration immediately stops when i lift my foot from the accelerator pedal.
My mechanic look the car today and say that the suspension is OK. Cant find any ball joints bushings gone bad.
The only thing that he notice is a little bit of movement in the steering rack. I feel my self that movement when rotating the wheel left to right.
Then he double check the steering wheel tie rods inner and outer ,and again they are looking really strong.

So the mechanic says we need to adjust the play in the steering rack.
But i'm thinking that the rack is not the problem for that vibration under acceleration.
My money's on the inner cv joints ,but when i ask the mechanic for the cv joints. He say that he cannot diagnose them and the only way to check them is to replacing the left and right inner cv joints.

Can some one tell me ,is there any way to check inner cv joints ,or i need to directly to replace them?
And also a want to mention ,that the tires are perfectly balanced check them three times !

Hello!
One of the inner joints is most likely the problem. I had the same symptoms on my a2 1.2. I removed both drive shafts because the boots needed replacement anyway. One of the tripod bearings had given up and there was a lot of loose needle rollers. I don't remember if it was detecteable via excessive play but you can try pulling and twisting the joints. Remember to clean out all the small rollers from the housing if the bearing is shattered.

Skickat från min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

Hello mates. Can some one help me.
My lovely A2 develop really annoying vibration only under acceleration no matter what speed i'm doing i'm really feeling that vibration in the steering wheel.
The vibration immediately stops when i lift my foot from the accelerator pedal.
My mechanic look the car today and say that the suspension is OK. Cant find any ball joints bushings gone bad.
The only thing that he notice is a little bit of movement in the steering rack. I feel my self that movement when rotating the wheel left to right.
Then he double check the steering wheel tie rods inner and outer ,and again they are looking really strong.

So the mechanic says we need to adjust the play in the steering rack.
But i'm thinking that the rack is not the problem for that vibration under acceleration.
My money's on the inner cv joints ,but when i ask the mechanic for the cv joints. He say that he cannot diagnose them and the only way to check them is to replacing the left and right inner cv joints.

Can some one tell me ,is there any way to check inner cv joints ,or i need to directly to replace them?
And also a want to mention ,that the tires are perfectly balanced check them three times !

Hi
The inner cv joints are cheap to replace if you suspect they are the cause and cannot find anything else. I replaced the inner and outerwear on both sides for £60 delivered and that included new boots and clips etc Brand was JR. Available on eBay
Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hello mates.
So the inner cv joints definitely going on my list.
But now my biggest worry is that play in the steering rack. Can the weal vibration only under acceleration start from that play?
Bay play in the steering rack i mean turning the wheel left and ring and hearing a clunking noise.

Hello mates.
So the inner cv joints definitely going on my list.
But now my biggest worry is that play in the steering rack. Can the weal vibration only under acceleration start from that play?
Bay play in the steering rack i mean turning the wheel left and ring and hearing a clunking noise.

I would doubt that play I the rack would cause a vibration

Thank you for the answer depronman.
So i will replace the inner cv joints next weak.
And can i ask again is there any way to test the cv joints ?

Last edited:
Thank you for the answer depronman.
So i will replace the inner cv joints next weak.
And can i ask again is there any way to test the cv joints ?
If they are removed you can feel excessive play of the individual rollers.
Does it feel like the engine is shaking? Can be hard to tell but I think it's characteristical for inner cv problems.
Regards Christian

If they are removed you can feel excessive play of the individual rollers.
Does it feel like the engine is shaking? Can be hard to tell but I think it's characteristical for inner cv problems.
Regards Christian

On the TDI the outer cv joints are traditional 6 ball joints these can be checked by pushing and pulling the joint and feeling any free play / hearing a click
The inner joint is a 3 legged spider joint and other than feeling for notchiness or play I don't know of any way to check them
However for the price of the full set of four joint which is under £60 delivered is it not worth changing them all whilst the shaft is off the car
Cheers

On the TDI the outer cv joints are traditional 6 ball joints these can be checked by pushing and pulling the joint and feeling any free play / hearing a click
The inner joint is a 3 legged spider joint and other than feeling for notchiness or play I don't know of any way to check them
However for the price of the full set of four joint which is under £60 delivered is it not worth changing them all whilst the shaft is off the car
Cheers

Hi Paul how did the boots on these hold up over time? Particularly the outers?

Hi Paul how did the boots on these hold up over time? Particularly the outers?
perfectly
they are a nice soft rubber like material unlike some aftermarket boots that are very hard ans split or come off the jount
they also come with steel clips, grease and new nut

Back