Oil in spark plug chamber

Kleynie

A2OC Donor
After changing the spark plugs this week I found cylinder no.3 had oil in the recess where the spark plug sits, no a lot of oil but maybe a tea spoon full. Is this an issue? The car has been standing since May, would this make a difference? The engine is the later 1.4 unit with individual coil packs (not AUA)

After changing the spark plugs this week I found cylinder no.3 had oil in the recess where the spark plug sits, no a lot of oil but maybe a tea spoon full. Is this an issue? The car has been standing since May, would this make a difference? The engine is the later 1.4 unit with individual coil packs (not AUA)

Take the plug out and clean all the oil away then ideally fit a new plug but first ensure the face that the plug seats on is clean a long screwdriver with a rag around the end works well to clean it
Fit the new plug and check in a few weeks
A slight weep if it's been stood is not unknown
Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In three different makes I found this issue to be the rocker cover gasket which should not be too difficult to replace. I am not sure on any of the A2s though and if this is the case. Just my opinion.

In three different makes I found this issue to be the rocker cover gasket which should not be too difficult to replace. I am not sure on any of the A2s though and if this is the case. Just my opinion.

Yes likely to be the rocker gasket but no point going changing it until you establish the extent of the leak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The car is still standing at the moment, so I'll monitor it for a while. I should get it running soon and hopefully the engine heat will help?

This appears to be a common problem on the 1.4 petrol. Mine has been like this for 3 years. I just remove the soark plug leads, then using a syringe, i suck the oil out before removing the plug and cleaning the chamber - Takes about 5 mins. The problem is that the 'Rocker Cover' carries the camshafts so not a simple 'old school' type of fix.

This appears to be a common problem on the 1.4 petrol. Mine has been like this for 3 years. I just remove the soark plug leads, then using a syringe, i suck the oil out before removing the plug and cleaning the chamber - Takes about 5 mins. The problem is that the 'Rocker Cover' carries the camshafts so not a simple 'old school' type of fix.

Agreed a much larger job as both belts need removing etc etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did this, you need to be very accurate with where you place the sealant (there is no gasket as such) as one wrong move and you’ll starve the cams of oil. There is an online service manual that shows where to place the sealant somewhere (I’ll have a google and try to link it up)

Link

The dark areas are where to put the sealant making sure the oil galleries are clear. (Not very clear on the illustration)

Nick

Last edited:
Hi guys, I'm facing the same issue the 4th plug is cover in oil. I'll use the spray with tubing from a cleaning bottle, the tube reaches far down and should do the cleaning job very well.
I've received these spark plugs, but not sure how to adjust the gap as it's a 4 tips one. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4x-Audi-...Spark-Plugs-/301992169288?txnId=1610362306020

If I'm right it'd be 1mm?
I've also ordered new spark plug leads, as the current ones can be pulled apart by the corners. Are they just pop off the ignition coil or I need to do some trick? Cheers

Look at this from our friends in russia :D

I've changed the plug and leads too, fortunately was quite easy, I knew the 4th plug had oil around it and upon removal looked like this.
I've cleaned the chamber and made sure all good.
I haven't driven the car yet, but even at idle speed to see all is okay, was much smoother. Started at 1.1k rpm and slowly descended to 1k in a min, which is already better than the 650 I've had before.
Edit: rpm went back to 620, so egr needs attention for sure.

Last edited:
Back