TT 7j alloys - running 205 55s on a 16?

Pinkythelabrat

A2OC Donor
Does anyone have experience of running 205/55s on a 16 inch without lowered suspension?

I've got the standard SE set up and the TT alloys but like the idea of the higher tire wall. I know the definitive list says they'll run but a few say it's minimal and only on full lock and they have lowered the suspension (I think)

Anyone using them on standard? Any problems?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone have experience of running 205/55s on a 16 inch without lowered suspension?

I've got the standard SE set up and the TT alloys but like the idea of the higher tire wall. I know the definitive list says they'll run but a few say it's minimal and only on full lock and they have lowered the suspension (I think)

Anyone using them on standard? Any problems?

I could be wrong but I think Timmus runs this setup, he may be along soon to clarify,
Cheers Jeff

Looking at the Dunlop Sport BluResponse for prices and there is a £45 per tyre difference between the
205/55 R16 91V and the 50 - with the 55 being the cheaper!

I note some reports of grounding out on the rear with the 55 but another saying with the TT wheels these are fine!

Anyone else running 55s?

Looking at the TT offset versus standard wheel and I wonder if the additional space might allow it. 31 vs 38.

The wheel would be pushed out from the suspension about 7mm further than the standard alloy.

The difference overall in distance from centre to edge would be an additional 18mm - just over 5% increase vs standard.

Does anyone know where wheels tend to rub so I can go measuring gaps?

Looking at the TT offset versus standard wheel and I wonder if the additional space might allow it. 31 vs 38.

The wheel would be pushed out from the suspension about 7mm further than the standard alloy.

The difference overall in distance from centre to edge would be an additional 18mm - just over 5% increase vs standard.

Does anyone know where wheels tend to rub so I can go measuring gaps?

If they are going to be further out than normal the place it normally rubs is on the black plastic rear wing support (inside the arch) and if extreme than also the top edge of the wheel arch lip.

Steve B

If they are going to be further out than normal the place it normally rubs is on the black plastic rear wing support (inside the arch) and if extreme than also the top edge of the wheel arch lip.

Steve B

Thanks Steve,

Any chance of a pic with an arrow?

I'm not sure what the rear wing support is! Google shows bits holding up spoilers...

No hurry - still to refurbish the wheels.

Thanks again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is the rear arch carrier (black plastic piece that helps to hold the rear wheel arch panel in place)

I had to trim it back at the top of the arch to get extra clearance.

But you might be OK, it is just that this does reduce the space for the tyre.

Steve B

arch.jpg

Ooh! Thanks Steve.
I clearly haven't spent as much time in the gubbins of a car as you.

The pricing of these is insanely different. A good set of branded in 55 are £62.50 each with money back for four (£60) and the 50s are £105 each with no cash back.

Anyone want to reassure me that they’ll fit?

The pricing of these is insanely different. A good set of branded in 55 are £62.50 each with money back for four (£60) and the 50s are £105 each with no cash back.

Anyone want to reassure me that they’ll fit?

Not me.

The tyre size comparison calculations show that the 205 55 16s are 6% taller than the standard A2 size (205 40 17 being the ideal standard to compare against.

So they are too tal as you can see below. 2.5% larger is ok and a tad more perhaps but not 6% that is too tall.

TT mk1 wheels do fit the A2 but not with those tall tyres.

Steve B

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
Just to add to this (old) thread, I am running 195/55 16 tyres on TT wheels, with the same offset of 31mm. Putting those values into the same calculator that Steve illustrated, you'll see that there's 11mm difference between what I'm running (and a lot of other A2 owners use too) and the 205/55 tyre. Now, I'm not going to recommend the use of such a tyre, but it may fit with minimal or no rubbing.

I am going to try a couple of OE wheel/tyres with 205/55 in the next week and will report back - you are right that the price difference is huge and so if I can report back, with my lowered front suspension, then you should be good Pinky. Initial investigation says they will fit but it'll be VERY close.

Last edited:
Just to add to this (old) thread, I am running 195/55 16 tyres on TT wheels, with the same offset of 31mm. Putting those values into the same calculator that Steve illustrated, you'll see that there's 11mm difference between what I'm running (and a lot of other A2 owners use too) and the 205/55 tyre. Now, I'm not going to recommend the use of such a tyre, but it may fit with minimal or no rubbing.

I am going to try a couple of OE wheel/tyres with 205/55 in the next week and will report back - you are right that the price difference is huge and so if I can report back, with my lowered front suspension, then you should be good Pinky. Initial investigation says they will fit but it'll be VERY close.

Whoop! A man with spare wheels and who can clearly change wheels faster than I can (like two hours for four!)

Thanks Mike. The TT alloys are waiting until the weather is warm enough for paint not to explode so there really isn’t any massive hurry in buying their new boots but the price difference is staggering! ☹️

Ha!! I put the winter boots on Ernie, our e-tron last night. 20 mins for 4. The trick is to use a proper jack, not the one that comes with the car, and to crack the bolts loose while it's firmly on the ground. Then, with a tall jack, you can easily lift the car so that both wheels on the same side are off the ground and you can then simply spin all the bolts out, whip off the wheel and pop the new ones on.

The real pain for me is that the winter boots for the e-tron are also 205/55 r 16 but I can't try these on my A2 as the A3 wheels are 112mm PCD, hence having to get a couple of new (to me) wheels off the auction site. I will report back next week sometime.

Um... you are both very impressive... I have a trolley jack and do all the nut cracking before I lift it too... still takes like FOREVER! I took almost an hour to do one and I'm not even a wheel-change virgin!

Right, update time:

2 x OE TT alloys with 205/55 r 16 tyres arrived this morning, so I popped them on Tank and had a quick run around. No rubbing, but very very close, especially on full left lock at the front. Rear isn't an issue, unless I travel fully laden with 4 people and bags etc, which I don't. Photos of the fit:

Front20555.jpg

Rear20555.jpg

Oh my! It looks like your mud guard is almost touching! did you hit any speed bumps at all? Any scrubbing?

Mine is standard SE TDi75 suspension so i guess I'd have a bit more room. Do you think this is an okay set up or do you think it's too close to be workable?

I did the winter wheels change last weekend on my Mercedes R-class ; although these wheels (19" winter / 20" summer) are much heavier than the A2 ones, I did the change in less than 30 min.
Then add another 30 min to properly clean (mainly the inside) the rims before storing them for the winter.

Back