Car passed MOT but Offside Handbrake very weak - how to adjust just one side ?

Pras

A2OC Donor
Car almost failed on the handbrake, but only on the off-side.

I understand you can adjust the handbrake for both sides with the screw beneath the handbrake cover - but how do you tighten just one side ?

Could the self adjuster be stuck/not working properly ?

Check underneath where the cable comes out it splits with a pivot which can corrode and not move freely

Car almost failed on the handbrake, but only on the off-side.

I understand you can adjust the handbrake for both sides with the screw beneath the handbrake cover - but how do you tighten just one side ?

Could the self adjuster be stuck/not working properly ?

Step 1 check the adjuster in the wheel drum and adjust it manually if needed until the drum can just be slide over the shoes and turn freely or with minimal resistance I suggest that this is done on both sides AND with the handbrake cable adjuster backed off
Once you have the shoes to drum set correctly then adjust the cable by removing the coin holder at the back of the handbrake lever. You will find a nut which is easy to get too. I jack up the wheels and adjust the nut such that with the handbrake down the wheels turn freely put at the first click the wheels should start to bind
Ps whilst in the wheel drum make sure that there is no fluid present on the shoes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check the length of the spring at the wheel end. These weaken (get shorter) with time and it has the same effect as stretching the cable. The only solution is to replace one or both cables.

RAB

Back