A2 1.4TDI intermittent poor running with ABS and brake warning lamp.

I've had my A2 1.4 TDi (2001 75bhp) for a year now without any issues.

A few days ago however my wife reported the car jerked a couple of times but then cleared and ran without fault. The following day the same occurred but this time she said the engine became noisy, the audible bongs went off and the dash lights illuminated, she pulled over switched off and called me. Taking a look at the car at the roadside I could see nothing obvious so started the car and it ran perfectly with no warning lights so I drove it back home six miles without fault.

Today I checked the vacuum hoses to the turbo and cleaned and lubed the turbo actuator (which was nice and free to move) checked for splits in the intercooler hoses, all seemed fine so took it for a test drive. All was fine for about five miles when the car suddenly jerked a couple of times and once again brought the warning lights and audible warning on.

This time however I could see the illuminated warnings were as follows, the large red brake warning symbol, ASR/ESP and ABS but nothing else. While these were illuminated the engine was still idling but very lumpilly and noticeably louder than normal.

Once again, after turning off and re staring the car ran as normal.

Any help/direction pointing will be greatly appreciated. I've checked for fault codes with a generic reader but nothing is stored or pending, at no point has the car produced any smoke of any kind.

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthrea...cing-Information/page2&highlight=Heater motor

Not sure if that is the right link but you MIGHT have the same problem I had and at the time wrongly believed it to be injectors. A re-scan for error codes with a good quality scanner would be wise, but I'm fairly sure you need to look at post 19 on sarge's excellent general servicing posts, about the injector wiring harness - a LOT cheaper than needlessly replacing injectors. Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks Froggy,

Re scanned the car today with a higher spec scanner and it came up with code 18074 "cylinder 1 pump/injector valve -N240 electrical malfunction in circuit"
I've ordered the loom which will take a couple of days to arrive, fingers crossed its that and not the injectors.

Thanks for the link to Sarges servicing posts, makes interesting reading especially the loom replacement guide.

I'll post how I get on and if it cures the problem.

Thanks Spike,
Hopefully I’m on to the fault and the A2 will be back to normal soon, fingers crossed.

Bit of history on the car, my father bought it New in 2001 and sold it to a work colleague of mine just before it’s first MOT. Said colleague phoned me latter end of last year to say he’d bought a Lotus Evora and needed some space, so it’s once again back in our family having covered 112000 miles. Fab little motor.

I'm pleased to say that following the injector loom replacement all seems back to normal with the A2. Just returned from a sixty mile test drive with the car behaving perfectly.
Replacement loom is now just shy of £70 and the job took around an hour and three quarters to complete following Sarge's excellent write up.

Thanks for the guidance everyone, much appreciated.

Next task, retro fitting cruise control.

Back