So, I used 4 removal keys to try and take out headunit...

OldSchool

A2OC Donor
It came out really easily the first .75cm

But I can’t get it any further...

I’ve been a bit dainty on the pulling and wiggling as I don’t want to break anything...

Not sure I have the nerves to wrestle with this more... can I use a screwdriver to encourage the stereo out more than the .75cm?

Also, should I disconnect the battery before I try it again?

It came out really easily the first .75cm

But I can’t get it any further...

I’ve been a bit dainty on the pulling and wiggling as I don’t want to break anything...

Not sure I have the nerves to wrestle with this more... can I use a screwdriver to encourage the stereo out more than the .75cm?

Also, should I disconnect the battery before I try it again?
It might be better if you remove the ashtray and Climate unit (not a major job)

It MIGHT be that the loom is trapped somewhere and so it would be best not to try and force it at all.

Unscrew the two screws that hold the ashtray in place then get your fingers behind the climate unit and press it out.

Once you have it released by the keys it should come out the rest of the way pretty easily and so it does seem like it is stuck on something, if that is the wiring removing the climate panel should help.

Steve B

It might be better if you remove the ashtray and Climate unit (not a major job)

It MIGHT be that the loom is trapped somewhere and so it would be best not to try and force it at all.

Unscrew the two screws that hold the ashtray in place then get your fingers behind the climate unit and press it out.

Once you have it released by the keys it should come out the rest of the way pretty easily and so it does seem like it is stuck on something, if that is the wiring removing the climate panel should help.

Steve B

That sounds like a fantastic idea! I will try it tomorrow...

Can’t wait!

Ok, so it worked...

I removed the ashtray but ended up not pulling the climate control thingy out because it wouldn’t budge...

What I did do was jiggle the head unit (after I used the keys to get it about a cm out) using me fingers on the body of the head unit I sort of jiggled and kept at it for a minute and it just slipped right out...

I unplugged the top row jack connected everything up and turned it on and it works perfectly...

There is a black wire with a circle eye thingy that I’m guessing is ground but I tried it with and without it on metal and it always works...

I’m not sure where to attach it... any suggestions?

I unplugged the Bluetooth adapter and pushed the cable up through ashtray hole up into back of stereo and then reattached it so the usb / mic / aux port little box is sitting in space where ashtray was...

I’’ll try and put it inside the ashtray and perhaps get a socket faceplate thingy for usb / aux in to fit onto ashtray face...

Any tips on how and where to run mic cable for optimum mic-ing?

Ok, so it worked...

I removed the ashtray but ended up not pulling the climate control thingy out because it wouldn’t budge...

What I did do was jiggle the head unit (after I used the keys to get it about a cm out) using me fingers on the body of the head unit I sort of jiggled and kept at it for a minute and it just slipped right out...

I unplugged the top row jack connected everything up and turned it on and it works perfectly...

There is a black wire with a circle eye thingy that I’m guessing is ground but I tried it with and without it on metal and it always works...

I’m not sure where to attach it... any suggestions?

I unplugged the Bluetooth adapter and pushed the cable up through ashtray hole up into back of stereo and then reattached it so the usb / mic / aux port little box is sitting in space where ashtray was...

I’’ll try and put it inside the ashtray and perhaps get a socket faceplate thingy for usb / aux in to fit onto ashtray face...

Any tips on how and where to run mic cable for optimum mic-ing?

Hi,

the OEM location for the mic for handsfree is behind the small grill in the front roof light switch panel. You need to run the cable behind the trims around the windscreen to the centre. see this illustration:
This works quite well and is completely hidden from sight.

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthrea...-with-Bluetooth-and-handsfree-calling-install

regards

Andrew

If the head unit is grounded isn’t anything plugged into it grounded too?

Hi,

there already is a ground available from the head unit connector. Some units require and additional ground and some can be supplied with an alternate ground if the head unit ground is insufficient. It depends on the unit.

The instructions for the adapter that I fitted said that the ground should be used if interference is heard in the audio. I had interference so I attached the ground to the nearest body earthing point, by the lower hinge of the front door. The interference went away after that.

regards

Andrew

This is the Bluetooth adapter I bought... well, I used a gift certificate I got for my birthday so I had to get something from amazon...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/USB-Adaptor-Bluetooth-Audi-Radios/dp/B00DZKXGJY

It’s cool to say “hey Siri” to play an album or playlist or shuffle an artist etc but the Siri voice is really quiet...

There must be somewhere on Iphone I can set the balance between music and Siri and maps volumes?

Otherwise very happy with this...

Just gotta figure out if the little box will fit in ashtray tray hidden away or if not I ditch the ashtray and make a shelf or keep ashtray make a hole for cable in back where can’t see it and put box in the tray under ashtray next to gear shifter...

I think routing the mic up inside the a pillar is too difficult for my skills so maybe I feed it out of ashtray area to somewhere on starting column or the visor thingy that’s over the speedometer not sure what that’s called...

Perhaps under the shelf in front of the gear stick? There's a fair bit of room. I carved a wee square out of the foam to hold the connects2 and wire runs were easy enough from down inside the centre pillar and behind the ashtray to get power.

Easy to get to as well - just lift the ring around the gearstick base and pull up.

There is a plastic holder moulded onto the back of the panel which makes me think this was an original sight for some option or another. I put an aux in and USB power socket there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ok, I got my double din head unit squished back into the car... I just had to wiggle it back in...

I was overly cautious as I thought it was just going to slide right in but had to give it a little jiggle and then it dropped in easy peasy...

Back