Cam belt and water pump cost advice

leehallum

A2OC Donor
Hi all,

Sorry if this has been covered before. I need to do my cam belt and water pump on my 2003 1.6FSI.

The garage that I normally go to has quoted me £480 inc vat for using genuine parts or £420 inc vat for OEM parts. This seems quite a lot... is this about right or is this a little high?

I live in Winchester in Hampshire and will call around a few other garages, but these are the guys that know the car inside and out and I know will do a good job. Im just not convinced on the price.

Any advice would be really appreciated

Thanks

Crikey I have just had another price back from another local garage for £511.80 inc vat... £420 isn't looking so bad now!... but still seems a bit high.

I will hopefully get another two quotes back today from other local garages I know

I'm getting the same quote of £460 from all garages around me. - and all insist on supplying their own parts.

Ok, last of the quotes in from 4 local garages:

£420 (from the guys I normally go to)
£440
£465
£511.80

*The last two are using genuine parts

I'm getting the same quote of £460 from all garages around me. - and all insist on supplying their own parts.

As you are in Chelmsford give these guys a call. Lots of hospital staff take their cars there and they did all the CV gaiters on my Audi A2 at a very reasonable price.

Apollo Auto Care
Located just behind Broomfield Hospital our Qualified Mechanics cover all aspects of car and van repairs

• Collection and drop off in the Chelmsford area possible Free of Charge
• Fixed price servicing available
• MOTs arranged
• Home breakdown available
• Clutches, timing belts, tyres and exhausts
• Air con recharging
• Diagnostics
• Windscreens
• Car sales
• Full workshop facilities
• Discounts for Hospital Staff
• Open 6 days, Saturday by appointment

For a friendly and courteous service or advice - Call Workshop on 01245 444111
or Gary on 07756 935337

Ok, last of the quotes in from 4 local garages:

£420 (from the guys I normally go to)
£440
£465
£511.80

Have you tried Audi? Unless i'm wrong i'm sure they would do it for a similar amount, Audi could even be cheaper than the top 2 quotes. The last time i looked so about 3 years ago audi were charging something like £450 to do a V6.

*The last two are using genuine parts

Have you tried Audi? Unless i'm wrong i'm sure they would do it for a similar amount, Audi could even be cheaper than the top 2 quotes. The last time i looked so about 3 years ago Audi were charging something like £450 to do a V6.

Trying to find the Invoice for my last Cam Belt Change. It must be in the A2 which is not here at the moment. Not sure how much it was but is was nothing like those prices. Harpers Cumbria did it. They use Genuine VAG Parts but can be as low as half the cost of Audi due to lower Labour rates.

harperscumbria.co.uk

Found the Invoice from Harpers Cumbria. Total was £249 inc VAT ! OK it was in 2014 and mine is a 1.4 Petrol but does it cost more for a 1.6 and can it have gone up that much since 2014 ?

Cam Belt Kit 036198110C should have been £126.77 but they discounted it to £74.50. Labour was £133.00 so £207.50 plus £41.50 VAT came to £249 inc

I'll be going back to Harpers for the next Cam Belt Change.

Had mine done a few weeks ago (Cambelt+Water Pump+Tensioners) for £412 at Audi VW Centre in Melksham, east of Bath in Wiltshire. Interestingly this was just £1 more than the same garage charged 5 years ago. I presume they are using OEM parts. I have seen others locally advertise for less but they tend to be start-ups or mobile units. As I found the other day buying 2 new tyres, buying local and cheap may not be the best deal.

Remind me to get more than one quote before having work done! Just had this job done at my local garage I've been using for a few years, I trust their lads and they only use Gates kit, but cambelt, waterpump, aux belt, thermostat and tracking with 6.5 hours labour @ £60 came to nearly £600.

Back