Alignment of Drivers Door Window Subframe

Hi,

I am having difficulty in aligning the Subframe for the drivers door window after replacing it due to window mechanism failure. I've seen on the workshop manual that there is a sequence for tightening the 4 T45 Torx bolts but the version I have access to does not show exactly what the sequence is!!! Any help out there on the correct sequence and any other tips on how to get the frame aligned please?

Thanks

BL

Hi büggerlugs (your forum name cannot actually be displayed within text due to automatic filtering, see: ******lugs),

Have you already sussed out how the reverse-threaded self-adjusters work? You'll notice that all but one of the Torx45 bolts go through little black discs. I don't want to waste time explaining something you've already figured out, but I'm definitely willing to help.

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks
The three adjusters were wound in (reversely!) before fitting the subframe like the manual stated. other than passing the Torx through them before tightening, i have done nothing. I thought they were self adjusting so just left them alone.
If you can explain it would be appreciated.

BL

OK, it sounds as though you've got them figured out. You're right to wind them all the way in.

Start with the Torx45 at the top near the wing mirror. This is the only Torx45 that doesn't pass through a self-adjuster. You'll notice there's a little metal pin that locates into a hole in the structure of the door. Lift the frame as high as it'll go whilst still keeping this pin in its hole. Then tighten the bolt.
Your next Torx45 bolt is the one at the top at the other end of the door (the on closest to the exterior door handle). Again, lift the frame and start tightening the bolt. You'll notice that the self-adjuster starts to expand to fill any available space.

At this point, very loosely pop the two lower Torx45 bolts into place (just a tiny bit of thread engagement - don't allow the self-adjusters to start spinning) and squish the rubber seal back into its correct position around the door frame. Pile all the wiring looms into the door such that they can't get trapped and then try closing the door to see if you've got the height of the frame correct. Adjust the two Torx45s (that are now hidden behind the rubber seal) as necessary. Once you're happy that things are nicely aligned, tighten the bottom two bolts.

I hope this makes sense.

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited:
Tom,

Thanks for the great input. It made perfect sense. I have fitted as advised and was a great improvement, however the lower torx on the door hinge side will not tighten all the way in. It is tight but not flush with the subframe like the others. I am reluctant to crank it up more as the threads will strip. The frame has an ok-ish seal around the top but not perfect. She was pushing on the top of the frame whilst I tightened from inside.
Audi talk about the sequence of tightening. Is this necessary other than do the top ones first as you suggested?

I may get some rivets and try and transfer the new window winding mechanism transferred to the old subframe to see if this will improve matters. At least there are some marks where the frame sat on the rubbers. The wife needs the car this weekend so it will have to do for now. At least the window can close now and is not taped up!
If you have any other tips for the alignment, they would be gratefully received.
Cheers

BL

I couldn't find a way of tagging this thread for later reference. I have both front doors to align and one rear, probably this weekend.

The instructions in the manual are lacking to say the least. Useful write up timmus.

Back