Cruise Control - None indicator stalk version

depronman

A2OC Donor
I have been an avid user of cruise control for the last 10+ years and on my A2 for the last 10 months

However I am not a fan of the cruise controls being on the end of the indicator stalk, I find it fiddly to use and much prefer the position of the cruise control buttons on either the steering wheel or a binnacle just at the back of the steering wheel. My other car, a Ford Focus CC as its Audio controls on a binnacle just to the back of the steering wheel on the left hand side and it is from this design (that I find excellent) that I have drawn inspiration for my A2 Cruise Control binnacle

It is a 3D printed binnacle that houses 2 buttons and an LED
The Bottom button is used to set the CC, once set pressing it again or holding it pressed reduces the set speed
The Top button is used to resume a previously set speed and if held pressed will increase the speed
Pressing both buttons together cancels CC
The LED indicates that the CC system is active
The CC is disabled if either clutch or brake is pressed

I made this first and foremost because I did not like the CC functions on the end of the indicator stalk and much prefer the CC controls on a binnacle
The Binnacle Cruse Control as been fitted and working for a few weeks now and has worked flawlessly and in my opinion is much easier and more logical to use that the stalk controls

Inside the binnacle are two heavy duty '1 million cycle' micro switches and an LED and resistor, coming out of the binnacle is a wiring harness which is routed down the steering column with the other electrical wiring harness, the loom then goes across the centre console and into the passenger side under floor compartment where it connects to the white connector if present or directly to the ECU if the white socket is not present.

If anyone fancies this 'alternative' cruise control setup then I am willing to supply a 3D printed binnacle front and back, sprayed matt black (perfect match for soul black), complete with pre installed micro switches and LED and a length of wiring harness read to connect to the white socket/ECU and a couple of 4mm nuts/washers/bolts to attach the binnacle to the steering wheel cowl. I also provide full fitting instruction / wiring connections

If anyone is interested then please post your interest here and I will get back to you.
I have bought a pack of 10 micro switches and 10 buttons to go with them and 50 LED and resistors, and enough wire to make up a number of looms.
You will however need VAGCOM (not the free version) or VAG COMMANDER and VW Tools in order to adapt the Engine ECU for Cruise Control

I am happy to fit the above for you if you fancy a drive out to St Annes

CC Finished Power off.JPGCC Finished power on.JPGCC fitted less top cowl and steering wheel.JPGCC Front-side view.JPGCC mounted to lower cowling.JPGCC Side View.JPG

I've got a MFSW ... There are buttons on the left. Can't they be used to set/adjust the cruise control speed?

David

I'm interested being an avid fan of CC. I like the idea, having two Focus(es) here with audio controls on the binnacle though prefer the CC controls on the steering wheel (as per our Focus). Is MFSW CC an option on the A2 without huge cost?

Hi Depronman. That is an innovative mod - very cool!

Am I reading it right that all this is needed to install cruise control function is the switches, the connection to the ECU and the function turned on with Vagcom?

I had assumed the cc stalk houses some functional electronics but is it all already present in the ECU?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Am I reading it right that all this is needed to install cruise control function is the switches, the connection to the ECU and the function turned on with Vagcom?

I had assumed the cc stalk houses some functional electronics but is it all already present in the ECU?

Hi Pinky,

That's correct. All A2s with the exception of the 1.2TDI have the controller for cruise control because the controller is an integrated part of the engine management unit; it's simply dormant and needs waking up. You then need to install the necessary wiring and the controls.
It is the presence of this functionality that allows things like my 5-minute cruise control tool to work: http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?26286-5-Minute-Cruise-Control
Paul's mod, as shown here, works on the same principle.

Cheers,

Tom

I've got a MFSW ... There are buttons on the left. Can't they be used to set/adjust the cruise control speed?

I'm interested being an avid fan of CC. I like the idea, having two Focus(es) here with audio controls on the binnacle though prefer the CC controls on the steering wheel (as per our Focus). Is MFSW CC an option on the A2 without huge cost?

I've investigated the possibility of fitting cruise control on the steering wheel and have come up with various solutions, though none of them are as easily implemented as simply installing the usual cruise control stalk (replacement indicator stalk).

The standard A2 MFSW, of the SE design (6 buttons in total, 3 on the left and 3 on the right), can be adapted to operate cruise control, though I wouldn't find it especially elegant. The up and down buttons on the left could be used to operate cruise control, but the third button (in the bottom-left-hand corner) would lose its functionality entirely.
Cruise control operates on voltage switches whereas the multifunction steering wheel operates on current switches. It is this difference that limits cross-compatibility.

I have also devised a way to get the 3-spoke Sport steering wheel to operate cruise control, but its implementation would cost significantly more than just doing things the factory way.

Paul, whilst your work is as impressive as always, I've got to say that I find the usual indicator stalk method of controlling cruise to be incredibly intuitive as long as you've got the later design (see the first photo in this thread: http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?23513).

Cheers,

Tom

I think I have only seen the second type of stalk - that first one does look easier. Which kind do Kufatec supply? I had considered having a go myself but the connections to the ECU I have already done gave me fear!
I’m not sure when I would use this - I’ve never found it a particular trial to maintain a speed in traffic and I’m never sure where to put my foot in a CC car. My old smart had it and I did use it so maybe it’s just lack of availability. good work everyone - the level of innovation on here is brilliant. Anyone fancy trying some of that magic on a rusty ‘89 VW campervan?

Hi Depronman. That is an innovative mod - very cool!

Correct, the CC is basically in the ECU already, but Audi made it dormant to stop you just buying the CC Stalk and installing it
The CC stalk is simply a set of switches

You have a PM detailing the install, which is also included in this thread for anyone else who is interested

Cheers,

I've investigated the possibility of fitting cruise control on the steering wheel and have come up with various solutions, though none of them are as easily implemented as simply installing the usual cruise control stalk (replacement indicator stalk).

The standard A2 MFSW, of the SE design (6 buttons in total, 3 on the left and 3 on the right), can be adapted to operate cruise control, though I wouldn't find it especially elegant. The up and down buttons on the left could be used to operate cruise control, but the third button (in the bottom-left-hand corner) would lose its functionality entirely.
Cruise control operates on voltage switches whereas the multifunction steering wheel operates on current switches. It is this difference that limits cross-compatibility.

I have also devised a way to get the 3-spoke Sport steering wheel to operate cruise control, but its implementation would cost significantly more than just doing things the factory way.

Paul, whilst your work is as impressive as always, I've got to say that I find the usual indicator stalk method of controlling cruise to be incredibly intuitive as long as you've got the later design (see the first photo in this thread: http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?23513).

Cheers,

Tom

Tom,
I fully take your point regarding the latter style stalk, but I fundamentally don't like the CC functional buttons on the end of the stalk, I can't really articulate why I dislike this, but it is a big improvement from the earlier style stalk (which I bought and fitted to my other A2).
When I drive my Focus CC I noticed that the CC buttons on the steering wheel where much more natural to use, but my A2 not having a MFSW this was not an option, I then noticed that the Audio controls where also at my fingertips and this was the inspiration for the A2 binnacle CC
As the saying goes 'it would not do for us all to be the same'.
You have sat in my A2 tonight with the CC binnacle fitted and agree that it does not look out of place, I agree that it is not strictly OEM, but if Audi had decided to use a binnacle to mount the CC function I don't think it would look very different from my design.
It should be considered as an alternative design rather than a replacement of the Audi CC stalk

Cheers

Rough guide to fitting the Cruise Control Binnacle
===============================
Just to give any potentially interested A2OC members an ideal of what is involved in fitting and cost of the parts -

The Binnacle front and back 3D printed, sprayed soul black and fitted out with the micro switches and buttons and LED plus a 5ft wiring harness & the nuts, bolts & washers to attached the binnacle will be £40 + P&P (about £3)

The fitting consists of removing the steering wheel, as this involves removing the airbag disconnect the battery positive lead and the battery negative lead and then touch both LEADS together.
Then operate the electric window switches and insert the ignition key and turn the key to the ignition on position (this is all done to ensure that the electrical circuits are completely discharged)
Now you can remove the two screws that secure the airbag from the back of the steering wheel (Torx screws). Once these are removed lift the airbag assy out slightly and un clip the yellow connector, now remove the airbag and place it somewhere safe. The Steering wheel now needs to be removed, undo the centre nut (spline tool) and before you remove the wheel from the spline ensure that it is marked such that you know the exact spline location when replacing the wheel
The upper steering column cowl now needs to be removed, there are 2 X head screws located at the front lower cowl, you need a long thin x head screwdriver, once these screws are removed the upper cowl can be lifted away
The lower cowl is next to remove, there are two X head screws located at the front of the cowl, remove these, there is a further X head screw located under the column raise/lower lever, remove this screw. The lower Cowl can now be pulled backwards until it clears the steering angle sensor/slip ring, then lower the cowl until it comes away from the car

Clip the upper and lower cowls together and secure with the two screws, now using the CC binnacle put it in position aligning the cable slot with the joint line of the upper / lower cowls, mark the two bolt holes in the lower cowl.
Now drill a 4mm hole on the two marks, and a 5.5mm hole for the cable to exit, half of this hole is in the lower cowl and the other half in the upper cowl. Now using the bolts, nuts and washers fasten the binnacle in place, the nuts are to be inside of the binnacle and feel the loom out of the binnacle through the half of the 5.5mm hole
Replace the lower cowl and fasten the front screws and then the lower screw, tighten front screws first then the lower screw
Route the cable harness down the steering column with the main loom, it needs to go all the way down then across to the centre tunnel and finally though the centre tunnel to the passenger side under floor compartment. It is easier to remove the centre panels on both sides of the centre tunnel, noting that the passenger side as an hidden torx screw behind a clip at the front of the panel
Replace the upper cowl, noting that there are two tangs the upper cowl clips into, replace the two front lower screws.
Now replace the steering wheel, aligning the mark made earlier and refit and tighten the bolt. Refit the airbag firstly connect the yellow connector, then tighten the two torx screws
The wiring harness will have 4 wires, these are marked with labels and need to be connected to the pins on the WHITE connector located near to the ECU and CCCU in the hidden compartment under the passengers feet. I will provide photos of what goes were. if the white connector is not present then the four wires must be connected directly to the ECU, whilst this is possible and I can provide the pin numbers it is a much trickier job and best left to someone familiar with doing this type of work e.g. Timmus or your local auto electrician

The last job is to do the adaptation of the ECU to enable cruise control, again I will provide full instructions to do this and then to test it and also to test all the buttons are working correctly
You will need either VAGCOM or VW Tools and appropriate cable in order to do the adaptation of the ECU (or have one of the many members on this great forum adapt the ECU for you)

The above may sound complicated, but break it down and it is remove steering wheel, remove cowl, fit binnacle, route wiring harness, refit cowls and steering wheel, connect CC loom to white socket, program ECU to enable CC

It is very much a competent DIY job

Cheers,

I recently bought a VAG Commander cable from ebay (China manufacture)
It came with a mini CD which had the VAG Commander software on it and there was also a program called 'VW Tools'

I could not get VW Tools to install on my windows 10 laptop, however I have recently rebuilt an old laptop with Windows XP, this will be my 'car laptop' and used for nothing else
I have installed VW Tools on this laptop and it works very well. It is VERY similar to VAG COM in look and feel (I'm not sure which came first VAG COM or VW TOOLS)
However there is a massive plus for VW TOOLS, being that it will allow login and adaptation to be performed (something that the free version of VAGCOM will not)
This is a major advantage as this £6 package of cable and software will now allow me to read the SKC from the ECU, set immobiliser to OFF, and adapt keys to the CCCU
In order to do this with VAGCOM there is an outlay of around a £160 and this is for a limited number of VIN numbers

Please don't take this as a bashing of VAGCOM because it is NOT, it is simply an alternative and a very cost effective alternative

I used VW Tools to adapt the ECU to enable to CC
Cheers,

Back