Got car washed and now battery light in dash is on...

OldSchool

A2OC Donor
Took the car to get hand washed today and as I was driving home I noticed the red icon of battery lit in the dash... car seemed to be driving fine... got home and then a few hours later I went out to start it and see if warning light was still on ...

It was, I had my door opened and I noticed a sort of chirping sound coming from engine area... could this be a belt? Perhaps alternator belt?

Any ideas guys?

The car wash and battery warning light coming on is just a coincidence?

Last edited:
This saying that there is a problem in the battery/charging circuit. Check fuses, check belt is on and running, check alternator is turning, check battery is receiving voltage from alternator.

If alternator isn't charging battery then this will light up.

Did you take bonnet off and jet under there?

Sarge

The chirping sounds like it could be the alternator belt slipping?

I reckon that if you tried to spin the alternator with the belt off it would be stiff or seized.

Steve B

This saying that there is a problem in the battery/charging circuit. Check fuses, check belt is on and running, check alternator is turning, check battery is receiving voltage from alternator.

If alternator isn't charging battery then this will light up.

Did you take bonnet off and jet under there?

Sarge

The bonnet wasn’t removed...

I’ll check all those things in morning when sun is out...

Will I actually see the belt for alternator when I take the lid off? Engines where so much easier to work on in the 60s ha ha...

The chirping sounds like it could be the alternator belt slipping?

I reckon that if you tried to spin the alternator with the belt off it would be stiff or seized.

Steve B

Great idea... A2 alternators must be really expensive right? I’ll have a quick inter web search to prepare myself for the worst...

If the belt looks OK and the tension is good I would suspect the clutch pulley on the alternator. These are a regular culprit with charging problems.
The "chirping' sound you describe is consistent with this. You will have no problem seeing the belt on on the left side of the engine (looking from the front).
You can find several threads on the pulley to help

Geoff

If the belt looks OK and the tension is good I would suspect the clutch pulley on the alternator. These are a regular culprit with charging problems.
The "chirping' sound you describe is consistent with this. You will have no problem seeing the belt on on the left side of the engine (looking from the front).
You can find several threads on the pulley to help

Geoff

Thanks Geoff! I’ll be well prepared for tomorrow morning...

Great idea... A2 alternators must be really expensive right? I’ll have a quick inter web search to prepare myself for the worst...

Try A2Steve or Sarge first, new ones are very expensive and a good used one could last you years if your budget is tight.

Steve B

seconded for a alternator from A2steve or Sarge Audi want an arm and a leg and I think a kidney for a new alternator

If it makes you feel better I had an odd chirping from my engine bay and a rough rumble. Pulled over and popped the bonnet off only to be peppered by little bits of flying metal! The alternator bearings I discovered once I got over the shock. What magnificent timing!
I still had plenty of charge to drive to the garage but a new alternator was over a ton!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok guys, took lid off car, started engine and battery warning light is gone and so is chirping sound...

I made a video of car running and belt turning...

I saw a normal familiar wide ribbon type belt and another one that looked like two chunky black round belts next to each other but when car was running they weren’t rotating

Turned engine off and took closer look and maybe this is a spring of some sort?

Photos

IMG_6478.jpg

Finally got image upload to work! Omg...

I expected you'd be saying its ok this morning, this is likely because you have had water over the engine during your car wash, which probably soaked the belt and the alternator.

You can see the drains next to it and there's a good chance this was the problem. Just check the drains pipes are secured and not loose.

Sarge

IMG_6478.jpg

Thanks guys for all the help...

Another day and car is still ok so I guess it was the car wash... never washing the car again!

So... car has something like 160,000 miles... should I have an alternator on hand just in case it does die I’m ready to go?

If I can’t replace it myself will most mechanics insist on supplying their own alternator (new or refurbished etc)

Back