Knackered key

Robin_Cox

Hello,

here's a quick one. I've used my car ('04 1.4TdiSE75) for a month using the key that was the one used by the dealer. The spare one was in the document pack - and looked basically the same as the first one - with similarly worn buttons. When I checked a few days ago, I found that it didn't respond to button pressing, so replaced the battery and then re-synced it to the car after having read various threads here and videos on Youtube (key in ignition, turn it to the on position, press the door lock / unlock buttons on the driver's door a couple of times, then switch off - keyfob now locks and unlocks car normally). I also established (to begin with) that the other approach used for some Audi models in the early 00s (driver's door lock) didn't work for this key or perhaps not the A2. However, the ignition method worked first time, so I was really pleased with myself (!).

A few days later I found a thread on here (that I can't now find) describing how to source & replace the three button panel to tidy up the keyfob cosmetics, so being a tart like that I bought a couple of the replacement key panels from the link off Ebay, and yesterday morning took the 2nd keyfob apart again - to the battery out stage. The button panel popped off fine by carefully using a fine jewellers screwdriver at the top edge to lift it, and the new one went on fine and it all went back together normally. Needless to say the fob was now unsynced, so I took it back to the car and repeated the actions above - and nothing happened. Put the original button panel back in and repeated. Nothing. Have tried putting in a different (brand new) CR2032 and repeating the above, and again nothing.

Have I knackered the fob through vanity? Any thoughts gratefully appreciated.

i found this online and this method worked for me , ita a very well set out guide...

Steps to reprogram keys to a car they are already linked to:
1. Press and hold the unlock key on a remote
2. Insert key in ignition and turn to on (while still holding unlock)
3. Hold unlock while in the on position for 2 seconds
4. Turn key to off, remove from ignition and release button.

Do this for each remote. Relink to seat positions (press and hold mem position #, then unlock button for 2 seconds and release both) and done.

To program new remotes on a car never linked to previously:

1. Take a key (valet key works best, put it into the ignition and turn the key to the "on" position, so the dashboard lights come on.
2. Roll down the driver's side window (not required, but a good idea in case there's a problem).
3. Exit the car and close the door.
4. With a second key, physically lock the doors by turning the key clockwise (don't use a remote).
5. Take the first remote to be programmed, press the unlock button. The lights will flash once.
6. Wait 10 seconds and press the unlock button. The doors should unlock. That first transmitter is now programmed.

***If you have only one key skip to step 16. Otherwise continue to step 7.***

7. Lock the door again (physically) with the key, (not the remote) by turning clockwise.
8. Press the unlock button two times with a one second interval in between, the lights will flash with each button press for a total of two flashes.
9. Wait 10 seconds and press the unlock button. The doors should unlock. The second transmitter is now programmed.

***If you have three keys proceed to step 10. Otherwise skip to step 16.***

10. Lock the door again (physically) with the key, (not the remote) by turning clockwise.
11. Press the unlock button three times with a one second interval in between, the lights will flash with each button press for a total of three flashes.
12. Wait 10 seconds and press the unlock button. The doors should unlock. The third transmitter is now programmed.

***If you have four keys proceed to step 13. Otherwise skip to step 16.***

13. Lock the door again (physically) with the key, (not the remote) by turning clockwise.
14. Press the unlock button four times with a one second interval in between, the lights will flash with each button press for a total of four flashes.
15. Wait 10 seconds and press the unlock button. The doors should unlock. The fourth transmitter is now programmed.

16. Remove the key from the ignition.

Make sure that to test the newly program remotes, the original key is removed from the ignition since this exits the programming process. Someone might be a bit frustrated trying to test it with it still in 'program' mode.

I had some diffuculty accessing the programming mode. If it doesnt work then take the key out of the ignition and start over. Rinse lather repeat. It will go eventually.

If you are still having problems after trying it more times than you can count, check the key is right one for year of car or that the key and battery are good.

If the key fob has been previously paired to your car then the simplest way to resynch it is to put it in the ignition, turn on the ignition, press the unlock button on the fob and then immediately switch it off and try it.

If that doesn't work then there is a problem somewhere with the fob.

If the battery is in the right way around (don't laugh, it is easily done believe me) then it might be that you have caused a problem with the circuit board by removing it.

Steve B

Thank you both for your helpful replies.

I am going to have another go at re-syncing the second key, although having done it once successfully when replacing the battery, then finding that it is no longer responsive when I put the new buttons on and re-synced, I suspect that I have done something daft and probably - as Steve has concluded - done something nasty to the circuit board. I suspect that what they always say about not going for one last run on the ski slopes is the case here.

Second fob is working again - this time I tried to sync using the ignition on / driver's door lock & unlock buttons - again, nothing happened to the keyfob ability to lock / unlock the car. Then, based on the above advice I put it in the ignition and started the car up (assuming if the chips were knackered the immobiliser wouldn't be unlocked). Car started up fine. I pressed the unlock / lock / unlock buttons on the key (rather than the driver's door), then switched off and removed the key.

Both keyfobs now lock / unlock car again, which is a big relief.

Thanks again for the advice on different ways to sync / re-activate keys.

Second fob is working again - this time I tried to sync using the ignition on / driver's door lock & unlock buttons - again, nothing happened to the keyfob ability to lock / unlock the car. Then, based on the above advice I put it in the ignition and started the car up (assuming if the chips were knackered the immobiliser wouldn't be unlocked). Car started up fine. I pressed the unlock / lock / unlock buttons on the key (rather than the driver's door), then switched off and removed the key.

Both keyfobs now lock / unlock car again, which is a big relief.

Thanks again for the advice on different ways to sync / re-activate keys.

i always recommend that process.

Badically if if you have a key that has been paired to your car and it stops working, as long as the battery is ok, ignition on press lock unlock on the fob and remove the key. It works in 95% of the time and is super easy to try.

Steve B

Back