Rear spring fitting

ca2n

A2OC Donor
I want to attempt to replace the rear top and bottom rubber spring mounts on my A2.

A spring compressor is recommended for removing and re-installing the rear spring according to the workshop manual. Has anybody ever successfully removed and reinstalled the rear spring (OEM, not lowered) with new top and bottom plates without spring clamps AND without removing the shocks? Appreciate any advice. Cheers. :D

if you undo both rear shock bottom bolts and then jack both sides of the car up you can remove the rear springs and replace the rubber top mount and the springs bottom foam mount , then lower the car and replace shock bolts

As said above, just remove the bolts at the bottom of the shocks, it's very easy. I did mine a couple of weeks ago, I soaked the bottom bolts with WD40 for a few days before and the bolts came out very easily. The springs literally fall out once you jack the rear of the car up, I had a trolley jack of one side and the Audi jack on the other, then once the wheels were off I placed axle stands under the rear just in case. It's worth replacing the bump stops at the same time as it's not much more effort to remove the shocks and replace the bump stops.
Note that I had to get the spring seats direct from Audi as they were not available for the sport model anywhere else. Top and bottom spring seats plus the bump stops from Audi were only £59, I actually bought new KYB shocks whilst I was at it for £45 on eBay, and the KYB springs from eBay were £42. Complete rear suspension refresh for £146, not bad.
I also applied Hammerite to the rear swing arm.

Last edited:
Give me a shout if you need any help, it's still fresh in my mind having done it a couple of weeks ago.

Forgive me guys, but what is the size of the bolt 2 in picture?

a2-442.png

Yes, it is. I tried using the 17mm wheel wrench on the nut and it kind of fitted. Is it 17mm then? There was quite a lot of rust there so don't want to get it wrong and strip the nut.

It's an M10 bolt, so head size will be 16 or 17mm.
Try 16mm if the 17mm is too loose, ideally a hex socket rather than 12 point. Alternatively if very rusty the try an imperial socket to see if this is a better fit and once removed replace with new.

Steve

They were 16mm on mine. Worth getting new bolts if you can, high tensile 70mm M10 is what you want.

As said above, just remove the bolts at the bottom of the shocks, it's very easy. I did mine a couple of weeks ago, I soaked the bottom bolts with WD40 for a few days before and the bolts came out very easily. The springs literally fall out once you jack the rear of the car up, I had a trolley jack of one side and the Audi jack on the other, then once the wheels were off I placed axle stands under the rear just in case.
I may be thick but springs stay firmly in place when I jack the car up from the rear axle subframe. Socks completely removed and wheels currently off. Do I need to have wheels on? Do I need to jack up an enormous height? I just want to remove rear springs without spring clamps as OP. Thank you for any help

I may be thick but springs stay firmly in place when I jack the car up from the rear axle subframe. Socks completely removed and wheels currently off. Do I need to have wheels on? Do I need to jack up an enormous height? I just want to remove rear springs without spring clamps as OP. Thank you for any help
Your need to support the car using the jacking points on the bodyshell to allow the axle to swing down and release the springs. Sometimes gentle persuasion is required with your foot on the hub to press it down.
Please ensure that you use axle stands on the body once lifted to safely secure before you venture under the car.

Back