Removing rear door handle cap

Mr Angry

A2OC Donor
Hi guys,

I've stripped rear door down to get to the door lock however I can't seem to get the door handle cap off. Is there a special knack to doing this? I've tried wedging it with a screw driver around trying to prise it open but its not budging. I thought the rear door would've been easier turns out its not :(

IMG-20171008-WA0002.jpg

Cheers

have you released screw on the door same as drivers door then blank pulls out with empty lock barrel , might be tight due to corrosion build up wd40 recomended

One thing to watch out for is that SOMETIMES when the door is reassembled it won't unlock or open from the inside or the outside.

If that happens, just give the outer door handle a thump with a clenched hand and it will open.
The door will then operate ok until you lock it again and then it won't open again.

This is all down to that little cable that connects the outer handle to the lock.
Make sure that you have that connected properly and not too tight, any tension on that will cause the above symptoms.

Steve B

Looks the same as a Bora which I did recently as you could not open the door from the outside, and in that case it just needed to be popped off with a small screwdriver. I used some card to protect the paintwork on the door.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

yeah managed to get it out....it was kind of stuck with dirt etc... but i did have major problems with the rear door lock having to swap parts over from the replacement door lock also not functioning! so had to strip down twice. once tested it seemed ok but..... i think i might have a broken wire inside the loom as when i was moving the door lock about for testing it would double click and then single click when moving the wire. ive put it all back together again for now and will need to strip down again and delve further.

can someone tell me how to adjust the door handle properly as when i reassembled everything the door handle has a shorter distance to door when opening :/

what a pig of a job and hate it with a passion ......frustrated and pi$$ed off to say the least!

the front is by far easier than the rear IMO.

cheers

I suspect that you have failed / cracked solder joints as against a broken wire, as you move the loom it will be stressing the socket on the lock assy ans flexing the solder joints where the connector and circuit board meet

PS sorry I didn't get back to you today, full day swapping dash boards across a pair of A2's

did you get the swap done ok?

i might try and remove again tomorrow and have a better look :/ i also have to adjust the handle so there is more play on it as it is too short a distance between full open and closed.

cheers

it looks like it might be solder joints but im not going to attempt this. having shoogled the connector block around a little i could see the door appear and disappear on the DIS. so its either the door lock or the wiring loom or both. it is fixed for now but for how long????

after getting everything back together, i forgot to put the bloody foam protector back in GRRRRRR!

its good i attempted this fix though as i can help others should they experience a similar problem. its a little daunting at first but once you get going it should be ok from there in. STILL A PIG OF A JOB THOUGH!!!!

OK! time to change the clutch and 3rd gear synchromesh.......NOT! lol

everything is nearly up to scratch with the wifes car. only niggly things now to sort out are the shock absorber covers and the stitching on the drivers side airbag :D i suppose i could do a fuel filter change and coolant flush to tick everything off the list but thats not urgent.

my knees are killing me again!!

cheers for all the help guys :D

Last edited:
Back