Engine rebuild.

Afternoon everyone, I dont like to be a bore or a parrot as I'm sure you've seen me posting about this before but just over a month a go 'Cosmo' my A2 thought it was wise to eat the timing belt and "shred" my engine so for about a week after I was dabbling in the thought of selling the car with the damaged engine but decided to bite the bullet and opt for an engine rebuild... it's been with the mechanic for 3 weeks now he managed to get it stripped down and see I was lucky enough to not damage any pistons but had bent valves etc then I got told the cylinder head was "shagged" so had to get another one which was ordered 2 weeks ago (3-5 day delievery) only arrived on friday just past.. the mechanic has now rebuilt the engine and was meant to be coming home today till I got a text saying "we have a problem" the car is now burning coolant a lot apparently an inch every 40 minutes... He's still bringing it back to me today as I dont know what to do next I've already thrown £900 into this rebuild. Just wanted to see what you guys think... the mechanic thinks there might be a crack inside the cylinder head or could just need skimmed?

Thanks for reading. Luke

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It could be a few things and a cracked waterways high on the list, what was the condition of he cylinder head you fitted ? used, reconditioned ect as imagine the mechanic would of least straight edged it if it was used and not been skimmed, perchasing a used cylinder head always has its draw backs as youv no real idea of the history , posibly its been cooked and cracked internally, I always have cylinder heads presure tested and skimed , valves recut and new valve seals as a minimum as the parts cost alone is high in a tdi rebuild .. im sure i mentioned on your other thread i have a cylinder head that was reconditoned at norwich engine center and is like brand new that i ended up not using as luckly after chewing its cam belt my mates tdi did no damage where we were expecting the worst due to the speed he was going when it let go.. i had planned to port and polish this at somepoint and then get the valves multi angled but would sell on at cost if it would help you out

IMG_2679.jpg

Last edited:
I would definitely put this on the mechanic for not carrying out due diligence on the head, pressure and crack testing is a must - unless you gave it to him and specifically said it’s good to go...

Not much help though, definitely feel your pain. I can’t see the problem being the block, timing belts seldom result in cracked liners so I’d of thought the head was at fault here.

It could be a few things and a cracked waterways high on the list, what was the condition of he cylinder head you fitted ? used, reconditioned ect as imagine the mechanic would of least straight edged it if it was used and not been skimmed, perchasing a used cylinder head always has its draw backs as youv no real idea of the history , posibly its been cooked and cracked internally, I always have cylinder heads presure tested and skimed , valves recut and new valve seals as a minimum as the parts cost alone is high in a tdi rebuild .. im sure i mentioned on your other thread i have a cylinder head that was reconditoned at norwich engine center and is like brand new that i ended up not using as luckly after chewing its cam belt my mates tdi did no damage where we were expecting the worst due to the speed he was going when it let go.. i had planned to port and polish this at somepoint and then get the valves multi angled but would sell on at cost if it would help you out

View attachment 31742
Thanks Jigsaw much appreciated for the reply, the cylinder head was 'used' but told me the company is great and never had an issue with them before but obviously this has happened. I've mentioned your reconditioned head to him now and is asking for some more info if you wouldnt mind.. if you have WhatsApp and is easier for you drop me a message on that my number is 07713728343. Also to make my day even worse he has now admitted dropping, denting and scratching my bonnet! Not had a chance to actually look at the car this evening dreading looking at ot tomorrow .

I would definitely put this on the mechanic for not carrying out due diligence on the head, pressure and crack testing is a must - unless you gave it to him and specifically said it’s good to go...

Not much help though, definitely feel your pain. I can’t see the problem being the block, timing belts seldom result in cracked liners so I’d of thought the head was at fault here.
Thanks Topsie for the reply! He ordered this head on my go ahead but did not give him it. He has mentioned hes not had an issue with this company before until now obviously he is not charging me for stripping the engine again he will only charge for the rebuild again once we have a plan

The mechanic rebuils the engine and it is losing coolant and he just gives you it back.
he then tells you he has dropped the bonnet and damage it.
If he is a friend or a trusted guy it makes no difference. The bonnet is entirely down to him to have repaired so that dhoukdn’t Be a nightmare for you at all, just a delay while HE sends it to be repaired.

As fit the engjne ehat dies he rxpect you to do about it, just keep topping it up. The job has not been done properly and I cannot see why you should be stuck with it.

If the head head is to blame then that should have been tested by him before fitting. If it isn’t the cause then it is something that he has to investigate. You are the customer.

It is extremely unfair for you to be left high and dry.

Steve B

The mechanic rebuils the engine and it is losing coolant and he just gives you it back.
he then tells you he has dropped the bonnet and damage it.
If he is a friend or a trusted guy it makes no difference. The bonnet is entirely down to him to have repaired so that dhoukdn’t Be a nightmare for you at all, just a delay while HE sends it to be repaired.

As fit the engjne ehat dies he rxpect you to do about it, just keep topping it up. The job has not been done properly and I cannot see why you should be stuck with it.

If the head head is to blame then that should have been tested by him before fitting. If it isn’t the cause then it is something that he has to investigate. You are the customer.

It is extremely unfair for you to be left high and dry.

Steve B
Hi Steve, thanks for the reply.

Yes it's a dishearting time he's away for two weeks so I have that time to decide how to go forward.. he messaged me last night saying if we are going to go forward he wont charge me for stripping the engine down would only charge me for the rebuild... again! He has also said if it comes to it he will get the bonnet fixed / replace it I will have a look at the damage today! I don't know if it's a dose of bad luck or something else is at play but hopefully I can get through it with the car at the other end .

I hope you get it all sorted out, it is sad to hear this story where you have spent so much money and are worse off than when you started.

P.S. don't let him just get the bonnet repaired, the scratches could be repaired but those folded over corners mean that any such repair would involve a LOT of filler and so that is not great.

Steve B

Back